Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My DVD Decrypter can't burn at 4x anymore.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smoker
    • Nov 2003

My DVD Decrypter can't burn at 4x anymore.

Hi,
    I'm having some issues with burning my backups to dvd-r using DVD-decrypter.

I have a Sony DW-U10A with the 1.1d firmware.
    I have never upgraded the firmware from the standard, as the drive has written at 4x without intervention from the beginning.

However, just recently, when I try to burn any iso files to dvd-r, dvd-decrypter freaks, with the error :
    I/O Error !
    ASPI SRB Status 0x04
    (SRB competed with error)

Host Adapter Status 0x00
    (Host adapter did not detect an error)

Target Status 0x02
    (Check condition)

CDB 2A 00 00 05 6E B0 00 00 10 00
    (write (10) -sectors 356016 - 356031

Sense Area : long list of hex here...
    (command Sequence Error)

All my rips are done using (in order)

1) DVD Decrypter (file mode, selecting all files, removing all PUO's etc)

2) DVD Shrink (re-author, write back to hard disk)

3) ImgTool (create the isos)

4) DVD Decrypter (write to dvd-r)

May be a long way around but the quality is excellent.

Could the error be due to the dvd-r's themselves, or a problem elsewhere in the system ?

I'm running this on Win98SE, AMD XP2200, 512 ddr (333), 80GB Maxtor, latest adaptec ASPI drivers.

I had a lot more dvd tools installed which I have removed, but re-installing them has made no difference to this error.

As I said, I have written many disks at 4x with no errors until now.

Oh, the disks I use are Mirror platinum 4x dvd-r . I have always used them for all the successful burns. I may get a more expensive disk to test this error on but I thought I'd ask here first.

BTW, the write (10) sectors in the error message are different for each set of isos I try to burn, and I am only using test mode now (too many coasters).
    DVD Decrypter versions 3.1.7 and 3.1.9 both have this issue.
    Files that previously wrote fine at 4x now freak and work only at 2x.

TIA

alan
  • ashy
    • Nov 2003

I'm running this on Win98SE, AMD XP2200, 512 ddr (333), 80GB Maxtor, latest adaptec ASPI drivers.
    Big mistake! DO NOT use these drivers! They will do nothing, but cause problems.
    Go back to the earlier 4.60 drivers.

Comment

• smoker
      • Nov 2003

Big mistake! DO NOT use these drivers! They will do nothing, but cause problems.
      Go back to the earlier 4.60 drivers.
      Well they haven't caused any problems as yet, but I have only just installed them in an effort to solve the main problem. Next time I'll try downgrading the drivers again.

This machine is a dual boot with RH9 , so its only for ripping that I use win98SE.

Thanks

alan

Comment

• ablindog
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Nov 2003

@ smoker
        "BTW, the write (10) sectors in the error message are different for each set of isos I try to burn, and I am only using test mode now (too many coasters)."

Do yourself a big favor and buy a few -rw discs. No more coasters

HR

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Since you have the latest aspi layer from Adapted (Adaptec advises use 4.6), have you downloaded and installed the proggie "force aspi" (do a search engine search).

Also, in 3.1.9 ('decrypter), you can set both the read and WRITE speed @ MAX.

As you are about to write with 'decrypter, what does the interface (scroll down part) say about Supported speed? Does it say 1X, 2X, 4X, ?

Sometimes, dvd-r's that are supposed to be write supported @ 4X won't be on some burners as the manufacturer did not get such passed by burner manufacturer.

As a matter of fact, I have some advertised 4X dvd-r discs that are supported @ only 1X in my Pioneer 104 and @ 1x, 2X in my Pioneer 106D (Just in) drives. In some drives these discs can be written @ 4X or even 8X, but @ what quality (coasters)?

Have you downloaded any software or installed any commercial software lately or any G.U.I.'s, such as AutoShrinkIso? I got some weird results from a G.U.I. a while back. Nero also interferes with some freeware.

From your first post, it seems 'decrypter is saying your media, though advertised @ 4X is only 2X.

I use the same method you do, though sometimes, I let 'Shrink do the 'decrypting (new version).
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• smoker
            • Nov 2003

I beleive the problem is down to the disks I'm using.
            I had just bought 3 cake boxes of 25 disks each, and it was on the first box that the issue started.

I gave up on the first box and moved to the 2nd box and I am now able to write again, albeit only at 2x.

I think that this batch of disks have crappy manufacture, so I am getting some Ritek disks to test this theory soon.

Remember, I have been using this brand (Mirror Platinum) since I got the burner, and it has always written a 4x with no problems.
            It is only this latest batch of disks that have caused issues.

It is pointless using rw disks, as I don't want to rewrite the disks later, I want to make fixed copies. I can use test mode to try the disks, but occasionally test mode is successful, then the real write fails !

As for Decrypter, I was using it at MAX in the write mode and it does show the supported write speeds as 1x, 2x, 4x.
            Nothing has changed since the disks were ok except the disks themselves.

They are cheap, but if they're not reliable then I will use more expensive ones in future.

thanks

alan

Comment

• Quality's Proof
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jan 2004

Hi,

It has been awhile since I had this problem and I forgot the other fact. The error DVDDecrypter gave you meant your media was crappy, dirty or defective.

Try holding the dye part under a very strong light and look @ the outer edge where the write failed and see if you find the dye to be discolored or oblong spot, etc.,somewhat lighter in color than the surrounding dye. This looks like dvd-rot to the unaided eye (dvd-rom problem) though it isn't, but is why writes sometimes fail.
              Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎