Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonnyacidseed
    • Jan 2004

Need help with NEC 1300a DVD burner!!

Hi, Can anyone help with this prob? I have a new Nec 1300a dvd burner. It will read normal cd rom discs o.k but when i put a dvd disc in, it just wont recognise it. I keep getting messages like: media not present, d: is not accesable, drive not ready, no disk in drive-please insert disc etc, but the bloody thing has absolutly no problem with other discs!! WHAT AM i DOING WRONG??

Anyone?!?
    cheers Jonny
  • ablindog
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Nov 2003

I have a TDK 404n,which is basically a rebadged 1300. After updating to firmware 1.09 the only media that it can't see is dvd-rw. so I just use dvd-r+r and+rw.
    Before updating firmware it was hit and miss depending on what program I was using/what type/brand of media. I now love my burner, I just don't buy dvd-rw anymore.

HR

Comment

• Jonnyacidseed
      • Jan 2004

Thanks HR, I will give it a try. By the way, where did you get the updated firmware?

Jonny

Comment

• thedukehasyou
        • Feb 2004

I have 1 1.07 "cracked" version if this firmware.

even if my repackaged NEC 1300A is a Mitsumi dw 7802 te, the firmware works great.

I can send you what you need (flash software and firmware) via email.

The drive will report as being a _NEC _1300A after firmware upgrade. I don't know if this is suitable the upgrade with "original" NEC firmware afterwards... I haven't tried it because my 1.07 firmware is way enough to burn to Princo 4X dvd-r.

Regards

Duke

Comment

• thedukehasyou
          • Feb 2004

The trouble with repackaged version of the drive is that you can't get the NEC 1300A firmware in them...

NEC's firmware come bundled into an executable application that won't upgrade if not a reel NEC 1300a.

If someone can or has done it, I would appreciate the info.

Duke

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

well, I have an original 1300 with v1.0A and mine still doesn't detect the orange bulkpaq Princo
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• thedukehasyou
              • Feb 2004

sfheath,

Go to http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/943 for the latest 1.09 Nec 1300A firmware.

'Tis a Windows app. Mandatory reboot right-after flash is recommended... I would not recommend, but make it mandatory...

Regards

Duke

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Thanks for the link Duke (I used to use that handle in my biker days!)
                According to NEC the 1.08 should have made Princos readable, let alone 1.09 & 1.0A. Some1300 owners say they burn ok. I'm wondering whether it's a hardware prob or just a bad batch of Princos I got. Anyway, I found a good, equally cheap source of AN31 DVD-R so I'm just puting it down to bad luck. Cheers

Comment

• thedukehasyou
                  • Feb 2004

Hey sfheath

This is my gamer nick. Actually, it is Duke Justice. And my modo is The Duke Has You... Cool nick.

NA... I woudn't blame it on the media. My experience says that it ain't the problem. The hardware isn't to blame either.

I will make a partly educated guess. Look under a new DVD. you will see a very tiny "burnt" mark already. This is how and where the manufacturers imprint the info of the media. I have already looked once into a firmware and there is a place where there is a table with info in it. I never have crossed verified that the info in that table corresponds to the info (or part of it anyway) in that burnt arear. The goal when I looked into the firmware was not that anyway. It was to crack the region.

I think it's just a matter for the firmware to tell the hardware: "ok, I know this guy, burn baby burn" or "what the ?%$/%/, just call this guy unrecognized media"

My humble guess.

Regards

Duke

Comment

• checkereddemon
                    • Feb 2004

<<Hi, Can anyone help with this prob? I have a new Nec 1300a dvd burner. It will read normal cd rom discs o.k but when i put a dvd disc in, it just wont recognise it. I keep getting messages like: media not present, d: is not accesable, drive not ready, no disk in drive-please insert disc etc, but the bloody thing has absolutly no problem with other discs!! WHAT AM i DOING WRONG??>>

---Johnny I hate being the bearer of bad news but I think you have a dead burner. I also bought an NEC DVD burner (1000a) and it died after only fifty burns in FOUR MONTHS and it was exhibiting the exact same symptoms...
                    It gets worse....NEC is currently hiding behind a giant wall of BS and will not honor any attempt at returning the defective units, so unless you have some pull with the store you purchased it at, you are out of luck.
                    Several attempts have been made at establising a class-action lawsuit with no success so far. Apparently no one cares that a major manufacturer makes shoddy products.
                    I am in the process of replacing my unit and I can guarantee you it wont be an NEC product....once bitten twice shy.

JeffH
                    (the checkered one)http://forum.digital-digest.com/newr...hreadid=31728#

Comment

• robhome
                      • Jan 2004

He Jonny

Try this link. http://herrie.org/

I get all my stuf there.
                      do a GOOD reading before you flash Its very good explained
                      HOW TO FLASH my drive
                      Use ALWAYS a dos flash mode ( I find this saver, for me that is)
                      Use an old win98 boot disk or use the make boot disk on herries site READ THE MASTER AND SLAVE settings!!!!!!!!!
                      This is the file you need:

This is the 1 you need!!
                      107v4 B-Version RPC 2 (Normal) DOS

Greetings Robhome
                      Last edited by robhome; 12 Feb 2004, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

Johnny,

Besides the advice above (especially how NEC is about returns), the best "cure" is prevention (buy a Pioneer (they are fairly liberal about refunds)), sometimes (quite often), a dvd drive won't recognize a dvd because of laser damage/misalignment, etc.. Many times such damage/misalignment is caused by improper shipping/handling, if the unit is new, file a damage claim with shipper, also.......this is the "scatter-gun approach".
                        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sfheath
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Sep 2003

Just for the record since I did omit to mention earlier;
                          my NEC 1300 is in fact a replacement unit.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎