Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnDx2
    • Jan 2004

Stand alone DVD Recorder

I just purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder, DMR E50. I couldn't pass up on the price through a private party. Has anyone had any experience with these..Any pitfall?, Problems. I specifically wnat to record material from my TIVO to DVD-r. I would appreciate any comments..
  • sharkaboy
    • Feb 2004

I have a DMR 100H, also a Panasonic make. It works perfect except for one little fatal nuisance. You can't play the recorded DVD-R disk on your PC DVD-ROM. Only the Panasonic machine can read and play it. I am told that only a Panasonic DVD-ROM can read the disk. So, its up to you

Comment

• JohnDx2
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought the DMR E50S. Love it except for the same issues you stated with yours. Maybe I will get a Panasonic DVD Rom.

Comment

• kevin abq
        • Jul 2002

I just got the E50S about a month ago, I love this machine. Last night my wife wanted to really test the abilities of "Hybrid VBR" using the FR recording mode. She captured a 2:47 movie off DSS. Normally, with my PC capping setup (Snazzi 3, TBC, VCR), I don't try to get movies longer than about 2:15 on one DVD because of macro blocks. Well, this Panny grabbed that movie and I can't tell it from any other shorter one we've capped. Great machine!
        For drawbacks, I'd say:
        1) The remote could have been laid out better - putting common buttons like input source and FR Record under that sliding cover at the bottom is just asking to have it broken off
        2) Why does it put up two separate windows asking if you are sure when you go to finalize the disc? They could have combined it into one window saying it'll take 4 minutes and that it'll be playback-only
        That's it. I can't think of anything else I'd change.
        Cheers!
        Kevin

Comment

• JohnDx2
          • Jan 2004

I know what you mean. The more I use mine, the more I like it.
          I agree about the remove...I have tried to remove the slideout part with out breaking it...but can do it so far. I tivo'd a lot of movies (Classics) from TCM , 31 Days of Oscar and then put them on DVD. Spectacular...No more video tape for me...
          Thanks for you observations...
          John

Comment

• kevin abq
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sharkaboy
            I have a DMR 100H, also a Panasonic make. It works perfect except for one little fatal nuisance. You can't play the recorded DVD-R disk on your PC DVD-ROM. Only the Panasonic machine can read and play it. I am told that only a Panasonic DVD-ROM can read the disk. So, its up to you
            I think you mean DVD-RAM. The DVD-R discs play on everything I've tried them on. Just one thing ....don't forget to finalize your DVD-R discs. Many people have bought this machine and brought it back because they couldn't play the movies in their set-top player. They forgot to finalize them
            Cheers!
            Kevin

Comment

• CoWbOyPoEt
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Apr 2002

Can anyone help???

I aslo have a stand alone recorder. When I record a program and then finalize the disc, it plays perfect. It also plays perfect on my PC. But when I use a program like Smart ripper or DVD Shrink on the disk, I see only a one MB file. I cant rip it to my pc. I can play it fine on my pc, but cant rip it. DVD shrink shows only a 1 mg file. I want to rip it so I can make various menus for the dvd.
              Does anyone maybe have a helpful hint for me?

Thanx in advance.
              AMD 2800 Barth
              1024 Gig DDR Ram
              NVidea G-Force 5600 Pro 128 MB
              Onboard sound
              2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
              lite-On LTR 16102 B
              lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S

Comment

• JohnDx2
                • Jan 2004

I am not sure why you are using smart ripper or dvd shrink after you make the disc on your stand alone. You already have it on the disc. What did you want to do with stripper or shrink? Those programs , particularly shrink are used to shrink DVD 9s to DVD 5s. Maybe someone more experienced can help you.

Comment

• CoWbOyPoEt
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Apr 2002

what i wanted to do was to make nice menus for the dvd's.. Maybe someone can help me out.

Thanx
                  AMD 2800 Barth
                  1024 Gig DDR Ram
                  NVidea G-Force 5600 Pro 128 MB
                  Onboard sound
                  2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
                  lite-On LTR 16102 B
                  lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S

Comment

• JohnDx2
                    • Jan 2004

After I posted to you, I kind of thought thats what you wanted, and I am not sure shrink or ripper is what you want. But some of the more experienced members can probably help you. I make home movie DVDs and use either Ulead Video studio or My DVD which both make nice menus..but that is home stuff, creating, authoring and burning, so I don't know about your needs.
                    Good luck to you.
                    JohnDx

Comment

• mattgrant
                      • Nov 2003

I have used a DMR-E50 and it is a great machine. Make sure your PC CD Drive can read DVD_RAM discs, and then buy a copy of Ulead Studio 7. It can import the files from a DVD-RAM disc, so you can then top and tail your program before comitting to a DVD-R disc.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎