X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cherie
    • Jan 2004

DVD rocording/burning

HI

Im new in using a dvd recorder so please forgive if I have some stupid questions.

I have some dvd's I like to make a back up from. I don't have a dvd burner in my pc but I have a philips dvd recorder R75, can I use that and if I can then how should I do it?

Best regards
    Cherie
    Last edited by cherie; 29 Jan 2004, 11:52 PM.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I have some dvd's I like to make a back up from. I don't have a dvd burner in my pc but I have a philips dvd recorder R75, can I use that and if I can then how should I do it?"

Do you have a DVD ROM (Read Only) drive installed in your PC? If so, use a "Ripping" program like DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper to rip the files to the HD. Then see if there is some way to connect your standalone recorder to your PC so you can burn the files–you will probably have to have a special hardware setup for this. These ripping applications will remove the copy protection allowing you to copy the DVD related files.

Comment

• cherie
      • Jan 2004

Yes I have a dvd (read only) in my pc and I have the ripping program, it's working ok. My problem is how to connect the pc and the dvd recorder, if it is possible.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"My problem is how to connect the pc and the dvd recorder, if it is possible."

You would have to first check the manual for your standalone recorder and see if they provide any hookup/connection information. I think it would be much like the connection that you would do with a standard TV, but again, you need a video card that supports this type of connectivity to be able to have your PC act as if it were a TV monitor. Then you would just use your DVD recorder to record the signal coming off your PC. I don't know of a way that your standalone recorder could "burn" the DVD related files "directly" from your PC, which would be the best way of doing it. It would still be advisable to purchase a "DVD Burner" to accomplish this–most burners (for computers) are probably less expensive than your standalone recorder.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Hi,

Yes, it would be best to install a dvd burner as too many people have reported too many problems with audio/video sync. problems. Also, to upgrade your machine for such transfer might cost more than a good quality dvd-burner and you would of course be limited to only 540 lines resolution transfer with such "entry level" video cards (s-video out connection).

Many people prefer the Pioneer 106D (the OEM version of the A-06 (Retail version)). Meritline.com has them for $135.00 (w/ free shipping)). Pioneer's guarantee can't be beat, though their pricing has.

You also wouldn't get true digital transfer (though some would say otherwise). Marking the dvd's should also be done with a cd/dvd marking pen (water-based) to avoid damaging the recorded side by "bleed-through".

Finally, welcome to dvd movie back-ups.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎