X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sass37
    • Jan 2004

Problem with missing .VOB files using DVDDecrypter

HI All.

I'm a Newbie to copying DVD's. I have tryed to copy Charlie's Angels by using DVDDecrypter. When load the files into either DVD Shrink or Nero Recode, I get an error message, saying the following "unable/failed to open VTS_04_06.VOB" but there is only 5 big .VOB files present in the folder. When I play the movie on my PC it works fine.
    Can anyone help me. I know that I propably have done somethin wrong.

sass37
    Danish Newbie.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

YOu need to select all files in file mode. Otherwise, it just rips the film files.

DVD Shrink and Recode needs all the files to work.

Comment

• sass37
      • Jan 2004

Thanks nwg

Thanks nwg.

I might not have discribed my problem correctly. I do have all the files including extra stuff and audio files. I'm just confused why DVD shrink or Nere Recode are looking for a file that seems to be non-existing.

Last night I tried with another movie, where I ripped it, only with DVD shrink, suprice - suprice, it worked perfectly.

The reason that i'm looking for a solution to my problem is, that I of course would like to burn the other movie as well. Maybe my problem can't be solved, I don't know. But it would nice if it could.

sass37
      Danish newbie.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Which of the 2 Angels' movies do you have? Is it the original version of the first (1st) Angel's movies, is it the "Superbit" movie, etc.?

I have the Region 1 Superbit version and the other Region 1 movie also. I also have the Thai version of the 1st movie (maybe the vob's are the same? Post and I will try to post what my software says about it.

If you download IMG Classic v. 0.91.1, you could use DVDDecrypter to burn the shrink files after Classic converts the "Shrink files to an Iso image. Very good player compatibility. Classic is a freeware. You would no longer depend upon Nero to burn with. And, you might need an Adaptec aspi layer installed. IMG Classic has a very easy to understand guided included in the download.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sass37
          • Jan 2004

Hi Quality's Proof.

Thank you for your reply. It was a rented version of the lastest Charlie's Angels - Full Throttle. I also experienced the same problem with "The Core" also a movie that I rented from the local video-store. The were both region 2 movies (that's the region for Denmark) I can't import the movies into either DVD Shrink or Nero Recode. when I try to, I get the error message "Failed/unable to open VTS_04_06.VOB at the process stops. You see - I would like to remove subtitles and the extra stuff. Maybe I should just let it go, but my nature drives me, to find out the reason for this problem, so I would know what to do, of it happens again.

sass37
          Danish newbie

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

sass37,

Hi,

I have been busy helping an Aussie (tack)with dvd ripping/burning and did not reply sooner. But, took only 2 days and now he can (with the help of some good people whom posted to and for him) rip and burn 98 % of all commercial dvd movies. This usually takes up to a week, he did good.

Your answer is only this. 2 of the best dvd movie rippers are DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 and SmartRipper v. 2.41.

Both of these rippers are freewares.

With the DVDDecrypter rip the dvd movie in all files mode by : clicking on the MODE tab and clicking File, then click the EDIT tab and click ALL and then rip the movie. If 'decrypter doesn't rip the movie, then use SmartRipper and rip that dvd movie by starting up SmartRipper (you may have to install an aspi (download the free "force aspi" software) and start the software dvd player (windvd, powerdvd, etc.) and click (left side of interface) File and then click (check) the box to the left of every vob, etc..

DVDdecrypter and Smartripper are somewhat better than 'Shrink @ ripping, but SmartRipper has to have an aspi layer to rip (it's an old software that has not been updated).

After the movie is ripped use the files tab of 'Shrink to open the ripped movie and then shrink. You could also download the freeware Iso maker IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 and make an Iso of the compressed 'Shrink files and use DVDDecrypter to burn the back-up with.

It seems you did not rip in "all files" mode. SmartRipper (put check in every box) might solve this. I ripped/burned the Region 1 "full Throttle" without any problem and you can rip the region 2 also. SmartRipper is a little better than 'decrypter, but do not forget to put the check in each box.

Happy back-upping!
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sass37
              • Jan 2004

Quality's Proof

Hi again

once again, thank you for helping me out. I guess that you are right, when you say that I propably hasn't ripped in "all files" mode.

I must say that it's a bit of a science working with DVD's. Well hopefully i'll get the hang of it someday.

sass37
              Danish newbie

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Advice is this (and it is verifiable by a "close look" @ the forum) :

Don't waste your money with software (commercial) solutions, try the freeware rippers, DVDdecrypter v. 3.1.9.0, SmartRipper v. 2.41 (only slightly (very slightly)) better than DVDDecrypter and the different versions of DVDShrink (v. 2.3, v. 3.0 Beta 5, v. 3.1.4 ? ) and also the very good ISO maker IMGTools Classic v. 0.91.1. You will need IMG Classic to convert the shrunken 'Shrink files into an ISO image and then SURPRISE, SURPRISE, DVDDecrypter will burn that ISO image movie for you....IF you are using decent quality (generic) DVD-R's these back-ups will be 100 % compliant (playable) on PS2 and Xbox and 95 % of set-top dvd players (non computer) which play DVD-R's. This is a very good solution if you want good video quality and high % player compatibility.

Be aware, the 'Shrink v. 3.1.4 shrunken movies are a bit better video quality than v. 3. 0 Beta 5. This is more noticeable on movie shrinks of 5 + Gig's or more.

The reason to use the freeware is : These freewares (as listed above) are easy to use and are not slow), the results are of quality ~ or = to the best commercial $$$ back-up sofware, If you are to back up many dvd movies, the $$$ commercial software will fail you and you will have o try these freewares, anyhow. So, save your money (and buy more dvd movies) and learn the freeware as you are trying. On a D-5 movie, you can rip with DVDdecrypter in MODE ISO Read and then write that movie in ISO Mode Write. On NT, 2000, Xp systems, 'decrypter can use the SPTiI as the layer to burn. On 98 system, a free solution for layer is the "force aspi", do a search engine search.

Post if you have any problems, and we will walk you through there. Remember, everytime you don't buy a software to solve your dvd back-up problems, then that is = to more dvd movies you can buy. Besides, and really, dvd back-ups is a hobby to some and a necessity for those of us with large dvd movie libraries......some of the posters here have over 1,000 dvd movies and we have found the freewares to be BEST!
                Rig :

Comment

Working...