Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • f_burner
    • Jan 2004

Burning Software Opinion

I've been using using Nero 6 (demo version) to burn my DVD / video files to DVD+R with good sucess (thanks to this forum) I use it because most people in here seem to use it and I am still a sheep to this stuff.

I have Power DVD, Sonic, TMPGenc, Shrink and Decrypter installed on my PC (XP) plus Nero 5.5 non demo (not installed).

My question is, what is the best final burning software to use that isn't difficult??? Now Nero isn't all that difficult but it has been sluggish and locking up on me.

Particularararly for burning avi's encoded in TMPGenc as MPEG onto a DVD+R???

Opinions would be gr8ly appreciated!

~(OO)~
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Your question contains the word "opinion". I have noticed that many posters (as I) do not post "opinions", but rather post real facts.

If you are really serious about dvd-back-ups (best quality with least amount of discs and have several or many "problematic" dvd movies to back-up), you may want to try the freeware solutions.

Many have backed-up the same movie and then burned the same 'Shrink files with different burning software and then examined the same scenes with their standalone @ 2X and even @ 4X magnification (using component connection) and have chosen a freeware burner rather than Nero or DVDXCopy.

DVDXCopy Gold has the "gearworks" burn engine, which is one of the very best of all such burn engines. Even @ 4x (with good quality media) on a 1:1 back-up, there is little difference in the back-up and the dvd-rom's quality.

However, XCopy, like many other commercial dvd back-up products fail @ backing-up many dvd's and so the very good "gearworks" burn engine isn't used.

So, one turns to the freeware solution for such "problematic" back-ups and finds an acceptable solution with a freeware called DvdDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 and for D-9 back-ups also uses the freeware IMG Classic v. 0.91.1 (converts 'Shrinks files to an Iso so 'decrypter can burn the movie). With XP system the SPTI is used or even an aspi layer is installed from Adapted.

With broadband access, entire downloads and installation takes less than an hour.

@ 2X magnification there is no significant difference in a D-5 to DVD-R burned by DVDXCopy Gold or burned DVDDecrypter v. 2.1.9.0 (w/ aspi v. 4.71.2 installed) on a DVD-R disc.

@ 1X on a D-9 with 6.0 Gig. transferred to a DVD-R by DVDXCopy Xpress, the 'Shrink files burned with DVDDecrypter to a DVD-R are superior.

Nero is problematic @ best.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

That is DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 (not v. 2.1.9.0).

It is also a good idea to download the DVDShrink v. 3.0 Beta 5 and v. 2.3.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• f_burner
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for your facts!

I have DVDDecrypter 3.1.9.0...Can I write mpg files using it to a DVD+R disk??? OR do I need to use IMG Classic before I write to a DVD+R in DVDDecyrpter?

I use TMPGEnc to convert avi to mpg but have trouble writing to DVD+R in Nero or anything else.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

f...burner,

DVDDecrypter writes ISO images to -R, -RW, +R, +RW. IMG Classic converts video_ts files (such as 'Shrink files into ISO image and 'decrypter burns. You need a software to convert avi to vts.

You will have to convert the mpeg somehow into a video_ts file for IMG Classic to make an ISO of.

I'm not up on the mpeg to files transfer which is vts ifo,bup, vob's. But, the forum should have a post about such.

I was answering about a very good freeware solution to burning (and ripping) dvd's, Since you have TNPGEnc, don't they have a setting for such, or is a plug-in available? Undoubtedly there is an easy to use avi to video_ts converting software available that is a freeware.

If you are doing DivX or vhs conversions, then check the DivX threads, or visit DVDRHELP.com for a lot of info on converting avi and mpeg to vts.

With dvd media so cheap, many aren't bothering with DivX or vcd's or capturing when dvd standalone recorders are under $300.00 and poised to be less than $200.00 in the not too distant future.

DVDDecrypter does burn +R's.
          Rig :

Comment

• f_burner
            • Jan 2004

I found a how to in here and another site and it said to convert to .mpg in TMPGEnc. and then burn to CD-R. It worked with one movie but another movie which is longer ( about 3 hrs long ) it won't fit onto a CD-R... Thats why I need to put it on a DVD+R.
            Last edited by f_burner; 2 Feb 2004, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• cyrano
              • Jan 2004

DVDShrink v 3.1.4 vrs DVDShrink v. 3.0 Beta 5 and v. 2.3.

Originally posted by Quality's Proof
              That is DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 (not v. 2.1.9.0).

It is also a good idea to download the DVDShrink v. 3.0 Beta 5 and v. 2.3.
              I am using 3.1.4 with no problems. (yet )

What bugs are there? I've read about some problem in early 3.1's.

Are there situations where one version is better than another?

Thanks
              - Mike

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

cyrano,

putting to seperate D-5 movies onto one DVD-R can be problematic with 3.1, even though latest version has better compression video quality than 3. 0 Beta 5 (which is better than 2,3).

It is always a good idea to have 2 or more versions (releases) on the hdd for those occasional problem discs. There are many posts @ this forum about 3.1.4 problems. DVDSghrink isn't through with bug-fixes and so some of us will take those two movies and put them (un compressed) into a folder and then opeen 3.1 to shrink with.

The compression quality of 3.1.4 is better than 3.0 Beta 5.
                Rig :

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

f...burner,

most of us are putting several vcd's onto a dvd-r. vcd's are now more expensive than dvd-r's.

the reason for vcd back-ups was because dvd-r's were (in past) $10.00 ea. and no real player compatibility. some dvd-r's (decent quality) are less than $1.00 ea. and will contain 6 to 7 vcd's with no further compression.
                  Rig :

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎