Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yabadaba
    • Feb 2004

newbie needs help!

Ok..I'm new to DVD burning and have a variety of software at my disposal, but cannot work out how to copy a movie without compression.

The software I've got includes the latest versions of:

AnyDVD
    CloneDVD
    Nero
    DVD Shrink

The easiest to use appears to be CloneDVD, but it simply compresses the original to fit on one disc, where I would prefer to retain 100% quality and spread it over 2-3 discs.

So, any advice on how to backup a DVD with no compression would be very much appreciated. Thanks...
  • mrblack
    • Jan 2004

First off, are you using a DVD Burner?

Most movies these days require compression, even with Menus, and Extras out.

If you are using a DVD burner, I always recommend DVD X Copy Express. It is very simple and makes great Back-Ups.

If you dont want to use DVD X, then I would Re-Arthur the movie, and put the Movie only, so it compresses as little as possible.

Other then that unless its just a short film you wont find one that dont compress.

If you are not using a DVD Burner get DVD Copy Plus.

Comment

• yabadaba
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm using a Pioneer DVR-106. I haven't tried DVD X Copy, but will download/buy it if it will do what I want it to do. I've already discovered that the menus and extras can be removed, but even then some films will not fit onto one disc without compression.

With the software I already have I can select just the movie and compress it, if necessary. But there are times when I would prefer, if at all possible, to not compress and split over two discs instead. Is there not any software that offers this option?

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"If you dont want to use DVD X, then I would Re-Arthur the movie, and put the Movie only, so it compresses as little as possible."

I'm not familiar with DVD X Copy, but DVDShrink is the program with the "Re-author" function.

Comment

• ashy
          • Nov 2003

IFOedit is capable of splitting a DVD to 2 disks and is also free.

Comment

• yabadaba
            • Feb 2004

Sounds like that may be the software i am looking for. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Comment

• mrblack
              • Jan 2004

If 2 disc seem expensive to you, then I would recommend DVD X Copy Express. I have used just about everything out there and as far as I have seen it makes just about the best copies. In all the bench marks I have seen Quality wise Express ran first and DVD Shrink w/ Nero 6 Ran a very close second if not first in some.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Yabadaba,

You may want to save your money and wait until the D-9 writeable discs become inexpensive (sometimes this year).

As to Xpress, on a large D-9, Xpress's compression is awfull.

Also, Dvdshrink 3.0 Beta 5 is better video quality (deep analysis mode). Remember, if you want 1 : 1 quality, wait until D-9's are less than $3.00 each (decent quality) and then you can use a freeware (if updated) called Dvddecrypter to do a true D-9 to a D-9 ( 1 : 1 ) back-up. This is the solution if you wait.

Splitting a D-9 to 2 discs is not a good idea when inexpensive writeable D-9's are around the corner. Pioneer has already shown to the public (awhile back) that the Ao6 (106D) will write the D-9's with a free firmware update. No need to buy a new burner.
                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

Also, Dvdshrink 3.0 Beta 5 is better video quality (deep analysis mode).
                  DVDshrink is now at v3.1.1

Pioneer has already shown to the public (awhile back) that the Ao6 (106D) will write the D-9's with a free firmware update.
                  Where is this info, so I can take a look for myself?

Comment

• yabadaba
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Quality's Proof
                    Yabadaba,

Splitting a D-9 to 2 discs is not a good idea when inexpensive writeable D-9's are around the corner. Pioneer has already shown to the public (awhile back) that the Ao6 (106D) will write the D-9's with a free firmware update. No need to buy a new burner.
                    Even better news. I wasn't too sure from what I'd read to date whether these D-9 disks were available. So, it should be possible in the near future to do a 'perfect' backup of a dual layer disk?

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"So, it should be possible in the near future to do a 'perfect' backup of a dual layer disk?"

9.4 gig (Double-sided-4.7 gigs a side) disks have been out for awhile. I'm a little skeptical about the so called "Dual Layered" writable disks being "just around the corner". I think eventually they will be available, but I also believe the industry will probably set on them for a bit longer. Don't believe everything you hear or read these days. Also, as far as a "perfect" backup goes, in reality, nothing is perfect.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

yabadaba,

The D-9's Dual layer (one side) are supposed to be inexpensive sometime this year, with the first wave of such being available @ ~ $5.00 ea. (or less) sometime in March. You could buy the A07 external firewire/USB 2.0 (less than $200.00 @ meritline.com).

The real spec.'s for an A06 and an A07 is ~ the same with no sgnificant difference. Pioneer sells DVD-R media, also. Pioneer will also release the firmware update for the '06, also.........Pioneer listens to its customers whereas some defunct co.'s didn't.
                        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Jan 2004

ormonde,

Why you want to "jones". You know quite well than when the dvd movie back-up community says perfect back-up, the definition damn well means no compression and no content deleted.
                          Rig :

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"Why you want to "jones". You know quite well than when the dvd movie back-up community says perfect back-up, the definition damn well means no compression and no content deleted."

Why don't we all stick to helping other posters the best that we can instead of getting wrapped up in debating semantics.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Jan 2004

ormonde,

Your statement/question is to you as you did start that bugabear.

Newbies have enough problems understanding how to back-up dvd movies because of the confusion posted by some. Visit the threads by tack, took 2 days, but he, me and a few other have it where he can back-up 98% of all dvd movies with freeware with very good results....this takes the average person 4 - 7 days to do.

You've posted some good posts to some people and have been helpful to them (I have noticed some of your posts), so, why call me a liar ( "perfect" )?
                              Rig :

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎