Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anglo
    • Feb 2004

mkv to .ogm conversion

I'm pretty much a newbie in converting one file format to another so I was wondering if there was any (hopefully simple) program that can convert ".mkv" files to ".ogm". Instuctions would also be good too.
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

VirtualDubMod is able to do it.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• guilmon3
      • Jun 2007

Hmm. I've tried VirtualDubMod but it didn't work. It parses the MKV file but ends up with a box saying an error occured and ask if i want to send a message to microsoft. Any idea what's the problem. And does VirtualDubMod have options for the dual audio and dual subtitle when encoding it from MKV to OGM?

I've tried other software but it only convert part of the MKV to OGM. Only one of the audio is converted. And the subtitle is not in the OGM at all. Does anyone have any suggestion that can convert a dual audio+dual subtitle MKV file to a dual audio+dual subtitle OGM file without losing any audio or subtitle in the process?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

from what I have read mkv and ogm are competing formats and ogm is temporary
        to be phased out when other media container formats (for example, Matroska) mature and come to support the same services.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

VirtualdubMod's MKV support is dated. Use MKVToolnix with MKVExtract GUI to extract all streams, then mux to OGM with OGMtools. Why you would want to go from MKV to OGM is beyond me though.
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• guilmon3
            • Jun 2007

VirtualdubMod's MKV support is dated. Use MKVToolnix with MKVExtract GUI to extract all streams, then mux to OGM with OGMtools. Why you would want to go from MKV to OGM is beyond me though.
            Okay, this is why i'm trying to convert MKV to OGM:

Firstly: Well, basically i just want to change their codecs. I have this MKV file with H264/AC1 video + dual AAC audio + dual subtitle. But my pc can't play them very well. It lags a lot and ended up worse than watching a slideshow. So i thought of converting it to XviD video + dual MP3/vorbis audio + dual subtitle. It doesn't really have to be OGM actually. Any container including MKV is fine. Any recommendations?

Secondly: I've tried MKVToolnix and MKVExtract GUI. I manage to get the different streams but i cant seem to reencode the individual streams into XviD video or MP3/OGG audio. Does anyone know a way around it?

Thirdly: And the OGM Tools i downloaded doesn't seem to have an .exe file so i don't know how to execute it. Where do you get it from?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

But my pc can't play them very well. It lags a lot and ended up worse than watching a slideshow
              Try a recent ffdshow build, you may be able to play it as is. Otherwise, try Mediacoder or SUPER to re-encode to Xvid; best to stick with MKV.

I manage to get the different streams but i cant seem to reencode the individual streams into XviD video or MP3/OGG audio. Does anyone know a way around it?
              What method did you use?
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• cobrachop
                • Aug 2007

MKV to OGM conversion

I thought I would tell you how I did this,since no one had any good methods that I could find.I wanted to convert Inuyasha episodes from MKV to OGM because my xbox wont play mkv properly (XBMC Latest SVN build is useless for mkv).Ogm files play fine on it.

Heres how;
                Use MKVextract GUI to break the Mkv container into its constituent parts.(Just put the mkv file you want into the program and let it extract the files)

The resulting parts should contain an Avi file, Ogg audio tracks and subtitles and chapter info.

Use Subtitle Workshop to convert the .Ass subtitle file to a .Ssa subtitle file.
                Use OggMux to join the Avi file with the desired audio (usually the Japanese audio) Ogg file.

Put the resultant Ogm file together in the same folder with the Ssa subtitle file.

eg. you might have a folder with the file Inuyasha episode 60.ogm and the subtitle file Inuyasha episode 60.ssa

Done.I hope this helps someone else,because there is no conversion of the avi file the process is almost lossless.

Comment

• cobrachop
                  • Aug 2007

MKV To OGM (update)

Another update.I have realised that for H.264 encoded MKVs you need another step involved in my previous post.Because OggMux cant deal with 264 Avi files you need to re-encode the avi using Mediacoder.

So after the extraction of the MKV file using MKVExtract GUI,you will have a file with H.264 extension.
                  Using mediacoder you need to recode this .264 file into Xvid format (so Oggmux can mix it back into an ogm file).

In mediacoder I used the Xvid output format and 2 pass encoding.It took quite a while to encode but the result was heaps better than using "All to Avi".Also my subtitles were yellow font and easier to read than the "all to avi" conversion process.

After you have the xvid re-encoded avi, just join the avi,ogm and subtitle files together as before using OggMux.

No problem!

Note:- You need to have MKV toolnix loaded on your pc for some of the codecs to work.(MKVExtract Gui needs it. etc.)

Comment

Working...