Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nathall69
    • Feb 2004

MPEG encoding problems !@#$

Ok. I am fairly new to this sort of thing. Kind of.

I've been using Nero for over a year to encode smaller AVI's on-the-fly. Lately, it's been acting up and crapping out at about 60% of the way through with the error "Unkown MPEG encoder error." WTF is *that* supposed to mean? Here I thought the days of cryptic meaningless computer error messages were long since gone.

Also, lately I've been wanting to burn some larger AVI's that first need splitting. No problem, I think to myself. Go online and download an AVI->encoder/splitter and kill two birds with one stone. So I get turned on to this TMPGEnc program that people keep raving about. WRONG.

Not only will TMPGEnc not complete encoding, it craps out FAR before Nero at about 1% of the way through. Doesn't matter if I'm trying to use the source range feature to encode half an AVI, or trying to encode the whole thing. I'm not the kind of guy to quickly ask for a hand, so I decide to try a different encoder. I see something about a program called AVI2VCD. Start it up, and let it work it's magic. Come back an hour or so later, and I'm looking at an estimated completion time of 300 hours. Wait...run that by me one more time? 300 hours.. THAT'S 12 DAYS. Screw that. Hit cancel, try a few more encoding programs all to various degrees of failure.

So here I am two weeks later, and *VERY* pissed off. For some reason, I think my best bet will be TMPGEnc if I can figure out how the heck to get it working for me.

So here's the information I have as of right now if it means anything to someone else:

* TMPGEnc craps out at around 1%, but always at a different frame, it seems random. I've never gotten to 2% completion, though. The two messages I always get are "Write error occured at address 00AD208 of module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with 0000002C" or "Read error occured at address <insert address here> of module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with FFFFFFFF".
    * I have tried various different AVIs, all with different coding: DivX 3, XviD, etc, all with the SAME results.
    * I have all the necessary codecs installed and all said files play JUST FINE under Windows Media Player.
    * I have plenty of available hard disk space, and there is nothing wrong with my hard disk.
    * 128 megabytes of physical RAM, with virtual memory enabled.
    * WindowsXP Pro OS
    * It doesn't matter if I have other programs open at the same time or not.

Let's see. I think that's about it. Also, it would be nice to get Nero working again too.. If anyone knows anything about Nero. I just don't know why one day it worked, and now it doesn't.

Oh yes. I will make love to anyone who can tell me just what the hell is wrong. Or am I just cursed?

Thanks in advance...
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I have tried various different AVIs, all with different coding: DivX 3, XviD, etc, all with the SAME results."

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will allow TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded AVI file. Also, are you using the wizard template settings to encode the AVIs into mpeg? ("File" > "Project Wizard" or it might start automatically when you launch the program)

Comment

• nathall69
      • Feb 2004

Ok, I did what you said. This time I got to a whopping 5% (woohoo!) before the exact same error occured. I'd almost be more likely to think it was coincidence that I got that far this time, rather than that priority setting having anything to do with it.

Actually, I just increased that priority until that DirectShow item was at the top of the list. I think the number was 2. I assumed that setting it to higher numbers was pointless after it was already higher than the rest of them, but perhaps I was mistaken. I can keep it going up... and up... and up... OK, it's at 102 now and my hand is tired. But does raising the number even affect anything once it's already the top of the list? If not, then my problem seems to be something else.... Anyone?

When I run TMPGEnc, I click on the "Load" button in the lower right hand corner of the screen, load the file "VideoCD (NTSC).mcf" and then use the "Browse" button to load in the AVI I am trying to encode.

Also, I made an error in my first message. My system has 190 megs of ram, not 128.

Help!

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I click on the "Load" button in the lower right hand corner of the screen, load the file "VideoCD (NTSC).mcf" and then use the "Browse" button to load in the AVI I am trying to encode."

Do you specifically want to encode the AVIs as mpeg-1? (VCD). Try using one of the wizards for DVD or SVCD (NTSC or PAL) and see if that makes a difference. Also, are the AVI files that you have been experiencing problems with recent (fairly new) files?

Comment

• nathall69
          • Feb 2004

Yes, I am specifically trying to encode files so that I can burn them onto VCD. I have not tried using the do-it-yourself Wizard as it seems a little too complex for what I am trying to do. I could give it a shot, but I seem to recall there are lots of options in there that I either didn't understand or know what to set them as to make the file VCD-burnable.

Yes, the files I am trying to encode are recent files. Of the two major ones, one is a Divx3 and the other XviD.

Could there be a problem/conflict between TMPGEnc and one of the codecs I have installed perhaps?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Could there be a problem/conflict between TMPGEnc and one of the codecs I have installed perhaps?"

To find out for sure, download a utility called “Gspot” and load your Divx/Xvid file(s) and it will tell you. The program will also take inventory on what codecs you have installed on your machine.

Comment

• nathall69
              • Feb 2004

I already have GSpot and use it. It reports all codecs are working fine, and the "Render" button always correctly renders the files.

Also, as I indicated earlier, all the files play GREAT under Windows MEdia Player with NO trouble whatsoever.

I will attempt using that Wizard when I come home from work today, but I don't hold high hopes that it will work any better.

Assuming it doesn't, what could the problem POSSIBLY be? I've been working in this for the better part of two weeks. Do I just have to accept the fact (ridiculous as it may sound) that my computer now simply refuses to encode MPEGs? ARGH!!!!!

Are there any other good VCD MPEG encoders out there I could try?

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"Are there any other good VCD MPEG encoders out there I could try?"

The only other (good) one that I know of is "Cinema Craft Encoder" (CCE). It is not free, but neither is TMPGEnc. There may be a trial period but I'm not sure of that though.

Comment

• nathall69
                  • Feb 2004

Ok, thanks for all your help. Any other ideas what might possibly be the problem?

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"Ok, thanks for all your help."

Glad to be of help

"Any other ideas what might possibly be the problem"

Unfortunately no.

Comment

Working...