NTSC / PAL...i really need help guys! just got a dvd in the mail that i ordered...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spaceboy5367
    • Oct 2003

NTSC / PAL...i really need help guys! just got a dvd in the mail that i ordered...

from amazon.com.uk. it is region free but is PAL. is there a way i can make a backup using dvd decrypter, converting it to NTSC?

thanks,

spaceboy
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

IMO you will have to re-encode the bakup to make it NTSC dvd compliant.

Comment

• spaceboy5367
      • Oct 2003

thanks tigerman! umm, two questions...what is IMO? and how do i re-encode the backup?

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

IMO means "in my opinion," and tigerman's opinion is right. You will have to re-encode. There are several ways to do it, and in fact if you search these forums you will come up with several threads that outline a few. You can use TMPGEnc as one way to do this (it's a 30-day free trial, so you can check out if it works for you). It seems easier to go from PAL to NTSC than from NTSC to PAL, so you shouldn't have much trouble. Anyway, search the forums. By the way, this is only necessary if you want to watch the DVD on a set top player with a single standard TV (the norm in the States). But re-encoding is not necessary for PC playback.
        Last edited by megamachine; 22 Feb 2004, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

By the way, if you decide to re-encode, you'll also need to author the new file, for which you can use TMPGEnc DVD Author (which is different than the forementioned encoding program), or DVDLab.

Comment

• spaceboy5367
            • Oct 2003

thanks megamachine...i'll look into that TMPGEnc. never heard of it b 4.

spaceboy

Comment

Working...