Clear All
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Wireless - its a pain in the......

.....not going to use that word.

ok my scenario:

I have a wireless laptop now, an ORDINARY router with 4 machines connected to it.
    I bought a wireless NIC to put in the main machine as well as keeping the ordinary NIC in.

tried to establish a connection between the main machine and the laptop - failure.

YOU NAME ANYTHING, and i have tried and it doesnt work. So why on earth did the guy at this place i got the card from say that it would work? he asked 3 ppl in front me of me, all said the same thing.

just shows that i was right all along, i was right in setting up my own small computer company and giving the best info, doing the best troubleshooting without taking shortcuts and also building computers PROFESSIONALLY.....unlike other people/companies.

it really irritates me ppl saying alot of crap and they are trapped to the store policy - no refunds, no warrentee etc...

damn - im very lucky to have such a huge amount of knowledge, experience and at a very very young age.

so = i ended up buying a WIRELESS router - that is what i wanted to avoid

sorry, just thought i would share this with you
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

damn Wi-Fi BS

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

I hope your advice includes setting up a solid (if there is such a thing) security program for that wireless LAN. I saw a post from someone on USENET saying he cruises neighborhoods with his laptop, card, and a specific program I won't mention...finds an unprotected wireless LAN and posts as if he were that user. It wouldn't be cool to have the FBI knocking on your door.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

no this one is solid proof anyway - because it has a BUILT IN firewall on the router - if its built in on hardware then you are pretty much sold proof secured.

plus it will obviously have XP and SP1 and latest updates, never been hacked into. The wireless is just really for my laptop, thats all. im not planning to make my machines wireless yet. no need too

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

I had real problems with my D-LinkWireless connection at 44MB/s. A have my Wireless Broadband Router connected to the Broadband modem which goes in to my main computer. I have two other computers, Laptop with wireless card and PC wireless card. The WiFi network was set up using the installation discs that came. Nothing worked. I then tried to do it manually, still didnt work. A combination of Windows XP Network connections and manually fecking around with it, eventually got it to work. It is a lot of hassle i must admit and the odd time it goes down completely. however, its a great way to connect a laptop and bring it up to bed to finish somethig if your tired. Apart from that, i prefered the wired LAN in my old Star.
          http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

well this morning i got my wireless router - thank God not on monday

hooked up everything, re installed the OS on the lappy and it works great

currently replying to this thread of mine from the laptop downstairs

i love the router - well worth it Linksys WR54TG or something - really good price

unfortunatly if i enable WEP then it disconnects the laptop every 10 minutes

Comment

• Oriphus
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Aug 2003

Yeah, the router is needed for it to work. I looked at the LinkSys, but decided to go for the 44MB/s conntection instead of 22MB/s. Glad u got yours working though.
              http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• kevin abq
                • Jul 2002

techno,
                Glad you got it working OK. I hope you have better luck with Linksys products than I did. I had a WAP11 that fornicated the canine 1 month out of warranty
                Cheers!
                Kevin

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                  • Nov 2002

See, the thing about wireless is you install/use it if you literally can't have all those extra wires in your home and can't get a decent wired connection, but even wireless isn't the advertised speed its supposed to be so beware...
                  Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
                  http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
                  http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• techno
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2001

yeh

wireless seems faster than the cabled wired connection for some strange reason!!!

but it works

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎