I'm confused..."Terminated with errors"...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyberafv
    • Jul 2002

I'm confused..."Terminated with errors"...

I'm so confused about the next situation. I made a successful DVD Structure using the quality-oriented guide, and my movie plays very well on 2 different DVD-player programs, but the burning session is the most bizarre experience i've ever had. First, i checked the VTS Sectors using IFOedit and nothing went
    wrong(IFO/BUP files got correct size), but when i was burning at 2X using Record Now Max 4.5...i got the infamous message "terminated with errors",so, after wasting that Verbatim DVD-R(i couldn't use my Verbatim DVD+RW because my DVD folder size is larger than the disc by 3 MB), i tried with a Pengo DVD-RW and this time everything gone fine(completed successfully) and
    the recorded DVD-RW is even playable on a domestic DVD-player!
    Then i tried burning again, this time using the "only test" option in Record Now Max, and another Verbatim DVD-R, and this test was OK(no errors). At this point, it was understood by me that a new burning session wouldn't crash, but even so, i defragmented my HD and used the "test and if OK, record" option in Record Now Max and...you guessed, "terminated with errors" once more time, so my questions are:

1. Is my DVD-structure really bad?
    2. How can i use a "test only" option using DVD-Decrypter for recording?
    3. Do i need to check something in the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, using IFOEdit?

Can someone help me to understand this weird "burning behavior"?
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

It's been over 24 hours and nobody's posted about the Record Now burn question(s). As you might surmise (if you've read many threads), most posters burn with the commercial software Nero or the freeware DVDDecrypter.

If you have a problem with the movie file size, you can use DVDShrink v. 3.0 Beta 5 or v. 3.1.6 Final to "crop" the movie file or "compress" to the size needed.

If you want a very good and free burning solution to the dvdShrink output files (without buying Nero, etc.), use IMG Tools CLASSIC v. 0.91.1 ( at : Coujo.de) and DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0. Many persons use this freeware burning solution for very good video quality dvd movie back-ups.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• cyberafv
      • Jul 2002

Thanks Quality's Proof for your suggestions. I already did a
      an image using IMG Tools CLASSIC and a "Burning test" using DVDDecrypter and everything went fine, but after i actually burned
      this image on a Verbatim DVD-R, even when no errors were
      found during recording (i got the "completed successfully"
      pop window) the movie didn't play well on my PC (it got blinks,
      and my movie freezes by seconds), but this same DVD played
      OK in another PC(using a different DVD drive). So, if both
      computers have almost the same OS installed (Win XP Pro the first PC and Win XP Pro-SP 1 the second PC), the only logical conclusion is:
      i need to update the DVD drive firmware of the computer on which
      i got problems playing the same movie.

Last edited by cyberafv; 26 Feb 2004, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyberafv
        [B]Thanks Quality's Proof for your suggestions. "....... the only logical conclusion is:
        i need to update the DVD drive firmware of the computer on which
        i got problems playing the same movie.".

Logic fails more than most persons understand.

Is the software dvd players of the computers the same (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc.)? Do you have all of the Windows O.S. updates, installed? Do you have the Software dvd players' updates installed? Was the DVD burned of sufficent quality (sometimes there are "problem" discs in an otherwise okay bulk pack)? Is the drive which had problems with playback, a drive known for such problems (there are quite a few drives which are problematical)? By now, you get the idea.......logic hasn't answered those questions and some other questions?

The burning solution, I stated, works very good, as you may have already known? It's a freeware solution, and so, no coins are required.

As to checking the structure accuracy/correctness of the dvd movie files for a back-up burn : DVDShrink can do this for you with an over 90 % accuracy, as 'Shrink doesn't want to open a DVD movie back-up file, unless the back-up movie is correctly structured ('Shrink wants all the files for high compliancey back-ups) .

All you have to do is have 'Shrink open the hdd movie file and if 'Shrink correctly opens such, and you can run the movie slide scale from beginning to end, then the accuracy of a correct structure is over 90 %. I have noticed, lately, that DVDDecrypter sometimes misses some files in its rips, and a "re-rip" is necessary. How did I notice? By using 'Shrink to "verify" the structure and also the rip by SmartRipper of the same DVD!

Computer software dvd players will most usually play a "border-line" dvd movie back-up when a standalone won't. Your last post did not mention whether the standalone dvd player played the latest dvd burn?

Also, when you make your burns, you really shouldn't try for more than the 4464 Mb size recommended by DVDShrink (unless, you are certain of the media's dye accuracy / and the players' "reading all the way to the edge of the discs"). You may want to decrease the size of your burns to ~ 4450 Mb, or so. Even in the same bulk pack of DVD-R's , the burn capacity can vary by 20 Mb's or even more. Also, the dvd drive can be the problem as some dvd drives are less tolerant than some other dvd drives.

Do post the results : it might help the newbies, and some "oldies".
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• cyberafv
          • Jul 2002

By the way...

Well, i'm using the same software to do the tests(playing the
          burned DVD-s): ULead DVD Player and WinDVD. But Service Pack1 is not installed in both computers, to say the truth. I don't think the pull-down artifact (in the problematic DVD drive) is due to the software itself but i'm going to update both players anyway.
          The "problematic" DVD-drive is an AOpen 16x and i have only
          played original DVDs on it, so the prime suspect remains the same.
          And finally, i need to play that DVD-R in a standalone dvd player,
          since the last one i tested was the same movie recorded on a DVD-RW which played very nice(menu, main movie, the works)
          in a standalone dvd player and one of the PCs (but i've never tested on both machines). By the way...i don't
          buy "bulks"...it's too risky!
          Two things are bugging me:
          1. I can't find the "border-line" you mention using DVD-player programs (is that normal?)
          2. If DVDDecrypter is not totally reliable (missing files as you
          noticed) so...which software do i must use? Smartripper always
          crashes my system, and i don't know many programs that can
          rip a full DVD in ISO mode(i need some suggestion here).

As you noticed too, i'm newbie and this is my first time using the
          quality-oriented guide but...at least i learned something.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

The missing Service Pack may solve some problems, as the reason for the Service Pack is also for some DVD drives to work better and for some softwares to work better.

I really wouldn't worry wbout drive not playing dvd as well as standalone, except that Service pack and other updates should be installed if you use that computer to rip/burn dvd's with. As a Service Pack install can make some drives and some softwares work better (even some printerswork better with Service Pack installed).

Bulk packs are okay (better quality is okay) , they are usually 40 to 50 % price of cheap jewel case dvd's and failure rate of better bulk packs is less than 10 %. Some bulk pack are ~ $0.60US (sixty cents) each.

"border-line" dvd's are dvd's which may or may not work in most players (not well made quality (include dvd "structure, burn quality, blank's quality, etc.)).

NO software is "Totally" reliable. DVDDecrypter does a good job, but the v. 3.1.9.0 set-up seems to miss some files which have been reported by several different posters and some of us have noticed this, and some of us have had to re-rip with another ripper, etc..

The ISO image of dvddecryper is only for D-5 movie discs. which Dvddecrypter will then burn. Do NOT rip a D - 9 movie in ISO mode ('Shrink does not "see" an ISO, remember this!).

Still, though, you can use IMG Tools CLASSIC v. 0.91.1 ( at : Coujo.de )to make an ISO on the hdd of the shrunk DVDShrink files which dvddecrypter will automatically burn. the video quality is good and no need to buy a burning software to burn 'Shrinks files with!

I use dvddecrypter to burn the D-9's of 'Shrink by using CLASSIC. easy to understand guide included in CLASSIC download.......hint.
            Rig :

Comment

• cyberafv
              • Jul 2002

Thanks for these tips, Quality's Proof.
              I haven't explained well my ripping method:
              I use DVDDecrypter to create and "image" from D-9 movie discs
              (as i have found in many guides) generating a "MDS" file to open later as a virtual image, using (in my case) Alcohol 120%(Daemon Tools alike). Of course, i always make another image (of the "shkinked movie") using IMG Tools CLASSIC for burning. This way has always worked.
              By the way...i made another burned DVD+RW(Verbatim) but this time my AOpen drive played the movie well (i used DVD shrink) ...so, i'm gonna check with the other movie(which i made using
              the "big 3" method) to post my results later...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Seems your dvd drive on the computer doesn't like the _-R discs, happens sometimes, even though most (if not all drives) are supposed to play both - R and + R equally, but then some drive makers support (really) only one of the type(s) media.
                Rig :

Comment

• cyberafv
                  • Jul 2002

Final Post about this subject(really)...

Well, I finally tested that movie (made via quality-oriented guide)
                  on a Sony DVD-Player and everything works!, so
                  DVD Decrypter+Verbatim DVD-R/+RW = very good results(if your
                  DVD compilation is OK).
                  I found another interesting facts: my AOpen(PC 1) and LG(PC 2) DVD-Drives are not compatibles only with DVD+R, the LG drive can
                  detect a DVD+R but can't play it, and the AOpen drive can't detect it at all(no disc message on display), so my problems were
                  DVDmedia/DVDdrives/DVDburner-programs compatibility issues, after all.
                  A lesson i learned: don't risk your blank DVDs using Record Now Max and...DVD Decrypter rules!

Thanks Quality's Proof for all your help.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

You are very welcome, as I am glad that you are now doing good quality back-ups.

Some more good news for you, which works very good , is easy to use, dependable, and is "automatic" (One-Click) :

The new DVDSShrink v. 3.1.7 Beta 4 and Beta 5 has the automatic burn with DVDDecrypter click box, now. DVDShink has the bug fixed and makes an ISO file also (of the shrunk files). When you click back-up, select the target files device as ISO (instead of hdd files). You need the new DVDDecrypter v. 3.2.0.0 for the automatic burning, but older v.'s will also burn that ISO. This is a "no-brainer", as the burns are very good video quality.
                    Rig :

Comment

Working...