Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zpunout
    • Jan 2004

Choosing Direct Show filters in Media Player

In mplayer2 (media player 6.4) or Windows Media Player XP it shows which filters are in use when i play an mpeg2 file by looking at the Properties tab.

I have several programs installed which came with mpeg2 decoder/filters (like Windvd5, and AverDVB-T digital tv).

Media player will play my mpeg2 files using some of these filters that came from the above mentioned programs.

The question is, is there a way to choose which filters can be used by Media Player? Is it in the registery settings somewhere or not?

The reason is My Aver DVB-T Mpeg2 filter overrides the Intervideo one that came with WinDVD5. I prefer media player to use the Intervideo filter because it has progressive de-interlace support.

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I prefer media player to use the Intervideo filter because it has progressive de-interlace support."

You should be able to use DVDGenie to "register to Windows" the WinDVD (InterVideo) filters...

Comment

• zpunout
      • Jan 2004

I was looking around and I discovered a couple of interesting programs which helped me understand how directshow filters worked. They are called "Graph Edit" (by Microsoft) and "DirectShow Filter Manager" from video-soft.com

Graph Edit showed me about how a combination of decoders/filters was used using flow chart style diagrams to play a media file. It can also test media files with filters chosen by the user.

DirectShow Filter Manager showed me how to register/deregister active x (*.ax) files and how windows chooses which filters to use when playing a media file by using a priority value (or merit).

Worth having a look at the "behind the scenes" if you want to know how some of this stuff works.

I havn't looked at DVD genie yet. Ill post my reply to see if that solves my actual problem.

My next question will be is it possible to change which decoder/filters my DVB-T digital tv software uses? I seems to load its own *.ax files no matter what i try. Perhaps dvd genie will do it.

Comment

Working...