Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whoopsii
    • Feb 2002

3 hours 20 min

I'm trying to rip Seven Samurai, it's only the 4th DVD i've tried, but I haven't had a problem up till now. Seven Samurai is 3 hours and 27min long, but the longest I can record is 3hours and 20min. I'm pretty sure it isn't a file barrier, concidering I've ripped it for 3 80min CDs as well as 2 80min CDs. It always stops at the same place. I'm useing Flask, and Divx MPEG-4 Low Motion. Anyway if you have any suggestions please lemme know. Thanks.
    -Your former VP, Dan Quayle
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What final filesize are you aiming for? Also, have you seen to it that Flask tries to encode the whole length of the movie (In the general option, I believe)?

Comment

• Whoopsii
      • Feb 2002

yes, I've made sure that the COMPILE WHOLE FILE is selected. I was aiming for 1.4gb, but I saw the quality and thought for such a long movie it might be better to go for 3 cds, so 2.1gb. In either case I couldn't get farther than 3hr 20min. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Just a suggestion. I think creating a 3CD DVD rip is a BIG waste of space. 2 CDs would be the maximum number you should aim.

If you aim for high quality, try either SBC (Still DivX3) or the new DivX4. For the latter, you use its 2-pass option which is similar in principal to SBC. If you're new to the 2-pass encoding method, try using DivX4. It's easier to learn. Have a go here:

p.s.

In case you don't know yet, the 2-pass encoding takes approximately twice as long.
        Also, for your problem, are there important scenes in the 'lost' minutes?

Comment

• Whoopsii
          • Feb 2002

Thanks for the suggestion about quality... the next time I have a go at it I'll try it. About the lost minutes... unfortunately those last 7 min are relatively essential to the ending.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Set Flask to "Split file every 7200 seconds" under "Output Foormat Options". That way you won't run up against (depending on your O/S) the 2 Gigabyte filesize limit. You can then joing the files with VirtualDub (Make certain to to set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying").

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Whoopsii
              • Feb 2002

It's not the 2gig limit that I'm running into though. It's some 3hr 20min limit. One of the times I did it the file was around 1.7gig, no problem with the video or anything. just that the last 7 min were missing. But thanks for the help anyway.
              -Whoops

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Now I'm personally curious, so please tolerate what may be obvious questions.

What software did you use to rip the DVD?

Did you rip the ENTIRE DVD (including .IFO files, etc.)?

Does the version of Flask that you're using allow you to choose "Load DVD" or are you limited to loading .VOBs?

If it allows you to "Load DVD" are you looking carefully to see if there's a choice of videostreams - with one being 7 minutes longer? (I recall someone having this problem a few months ago with Bruce Willis' "Unbreakable")

Comment

• Whoopsii
                  • Feb 2002

Heheh... ok here is what I do specifically.
                  I open Flask version 0.594
                  FILE -> OPEN DVD
                  open VTS_01_0.IFO
                  Select 0.- Duration: 3:26:27
                  Select Japanese
                  Select English (Normal Caption)
                  Then Flask this DVD!

Options -> Global Project Options
                  Preselected is 25fps and MMX iDCT
                  Under General I select Compile whole file
                  Search size is 5000KB
                  Hit OK

Options -> Output Format Options
                  Select Codec: DIVX MPEG4 lowmotion
                  Cofigure it appropriately
                  Select Audio Codec: MP3 96kbs 48000hz
                  Then Run: Start Conversion

That's it... I wait 7hrs and get a 3hr 20min movie
                  if you see something wrong lemme know... thanks for your time.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

You haven't stated what software and settings you used to initially rip the DVD (I'm still trying to explore ALL possibilities with you). Also, I don't believe you've mentioned whether the ripped DVD on your hard drive plays all the way through these mysterious final 7 minutes.

Everything you've done appears to be appropriate - although if you change the sound to Uncompressed (PCM) 48,000, you'll be assured of proper synchronization (and then convert to MP3 under VirtualDub). According to the author of VirtualDub, there is an ever-so-tiny calculation error in the Fraunhoefer (and radium ripoff of the Fraunhoefer) MP3 codec - which is apparently not compensated for by Flask, but is by VirtualDub.

Are you in a PAL country? I ask because I'm in the world of NTSC and, on occasion, I'll have a DVD that despited being Region 1 (NTSC) is indicated by Flask to be at 25Fps. I always change the setting to 23.976Fps and check "Deinterlace" as a precaution - and always achieve the proper results. As a simple math calculation, using the length of your video and multiplying it by the difference between 25Fps and 23.976Fps would appear to account for about 4 minutes. I really don't know if this is part of the odd result your obtaining.

As a last resort, you could, of course, attempt to Flask the .VOB ("Open File") that contains the final 7 minutes - and subsequently do a little cutting and pasting.

By the way, if you can locate Flask v.0.594PX3, you'll find it to be a bit more "solid" than the original 0.594.
                    Last edited by setarip; 14 Feb 2002, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Whoopsii
                      • Feb 2002

Thanks so much for the help... I'll try the PCM instead of MP3... but I'm not very good at Virtualdub, I'll also try the change of FPS. I'm not in PAL country, but i thought that Flask would choose the correct fps for me. The program I use to rip is SmartRipper version 2.41. Also I have watched the last 7 min on the dvd using media player. Thanks again, I'll try ripping it again in a day or so... I'll let you know of any success/failure. Thanks again.
                      -Whoops

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"Also I have watched the last 7 min on the dvd"

Have you watched the last 7 minutes of your harddrive-located ripped DVD (not the original DVD)?

Comment

• Whoopsii
                          • Feb 2002

Hmmm... nope... how would I do that?

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

Since you 've apparently installed and registered with Windows the MPEG2 audio and video filters (so you are able to watch the "real" DVD with Windows Media Player), the simplest thing to do would be to start the Windows Media Player. From within Explorer locate the folder that contains your rip of the DVD. Simply "drag and drop" the VOB that contains the last 7 minutes of the video on to the Windows Media Player. It will begin to play automatically (By the way, don't worry if you hear a different soundtrack - that's not relevant to what we're observing here).

Does it play all the way through those mystical final 7 minutes? If not, then we know that the problem does not lie with Flask. If, in fact, the problem is with the initial rip, I'd suggest that, as an alternative, you try to rip the DVD again, using Clad v.1.71 (NOT MDEC), which I personally know is rock solid. Select "Rip entire DVD" and Do Not turn off "multiangles".

The answer is out there...

Comment

• Whoopsii
                              • Feb 2002

ok... I opened VOB8 containing the last few minutes in WIN DVD, since WMP wasn't showing a picture. It was all there, so I think that the rip is alright. Do you have anymore suggestions... maybe another program other than Flask? I can't think of anything else.

Comment

Working...