Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davemon40
    • Mar 2004

DVD-ROM starts up at the end and then Ejects

When I try to play a movie, with Windvd I get an error that says "Can't find any CD-ROM/DVD-ROM device". I've now noticed that with WINDVD already open, when I insert the DVD and it tries to play the movie the command "EJECT" shows up in the window, and the playing stops, and then I get that error.

With PowerDVD, when I insert the DVD and it tries to play the movie, the command "STOP" shows up in the window, and the playing stops. There is no error, but the movie still doesn't play. Also, with PowerDVD I notice that the progress line that shows where on the DVD you are goes quickly from the beginning to the end, and then I get the STOP message.

Anyone know why my player is doing this on movies? It works fine with data type disks, like Encarta. Also, I can load and maneuver thru add-on software like Interactualy Player.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Hi Davemon40, well after reading all your posts and threads (phew) I suggest you check your Device Manager in Control Panel/System to see if your drivers are running properly.
    Depending on your BIOS version I'd also suggest you put your DVD in AUTO mode if pos.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• davemon40
      • Mar 2004

No luck there

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I've made sure all drivers are the latest version and there are no conflicts. Also, the BIOS is in AUTO, and correctly detects PIO and UDMA. Might be time for a later model DVD-ROM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Have you tried simply running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your DVD-ROM? Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• davemon40
          • Mar 2004

Not that either

No, I did try that too, no luck. Actually, if something that simple had worked after spending all that time trying to fix it, I think I would've taken out the DVD-ROM and thrown it through the computer screen.

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

Do you only have the ROM? How old is it?
            Did it suddenly play up? Are you on WinXP? If so, have you tried a system restore to before it went wrong?

Comment

• davemon40
              • Mar 2004

It's DVD-ROM (no burner), and there's a SONY CD-ROM as well. I run W98SE. DVD-ROM model is Toshiba SD-M1302, date of system is about 4 years, Quantex 733MHz - the mobo was upgraded last year to TYAN S1854. I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled W98SE. Everything works but movies on the DVD-ROM. DVD-ROM works normally otherwise. Conversations with Toshiba have concluded that they think there's a hardware conflict, and suggest perhaps the later model drive SD-M1802 could resolve it. I haven't played movies on this system for a while, but last I can remember them playing was prior to the mobo changeout.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

hmm, faintest, faintest chance, if it's a mobo-level prob:
                Have you tried it on another IDE channel, i.e. if it's primary/slave now, try secondary/master (with appropriate jumper change)?

Comment

• davemon40
                  • Mar 2004

No luck

Actually it was one of the first things I tried. Open up the case and see what's what. But either way master/slave gave me the same results.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎