HELP! Capturing macro'd VHS to my hard drive - (with Sony GigaPocket setup)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eferrr
    • Nov 2001

I recently bought a Sony Vaio PCV-RX590G with nvidia GEForce2 MX and Giga Pocket PVR/Capture setup. The other night, when attempting to capture a VHS tape onto my hard drive (to edit and put on a VCD for my own personal use, natch), the GigaPocket recorder abruptly stopped recording, giving me the error message 'Content can't be recorded - copy protected. Analog copy guard error.' Is anyone out there familiar with the Vaio GigaPocket setup? I thought the problem might lie in the Sony MPEG-2 capture board, but now I'm suspecting it may be the nVida adapter. Anyone?

My problem in finding info is that most people want to play DVDs through their system and record them externally (or view them on through TV-OUT instead of their monitor). My situation is that I'd like to disable the VHS Macrovision signal going into my computer (or disable it withIN my computer) so that I can capture the VHS video internally (and edit it, etc.). Is there a hack to disable the copy protection? Or, if not, is there a reliable Macrovision defeater out there? (I ran to Best Buy yesterday and purchased a Sima Video CopyMaster, but it didn't do anything -- still got the same error, and Giga refused to record.) Is TVTool what I'm looking for? Or is that only for when I want to use the TV out signal?

BTW - the Giga recorder works great -- I've captured tons of other (non-copy protected) stuff, so I know that's not the problem. Help?

Any help ANYONE could offer would be GREATLY appreciated! (I'm almost at the end of my rope)

Thanks in advance!
  • cplevel42
    • Jun 2002

The problem is Sony! They are big on systems that don't allow anything with a copy-guard to be reproduced. To my knowlegde, there is no way around this. All I can say is that you really need new equipment to be able to be totally free from these kinds or barriers. I can offer some suggestions on equipment. I have a number of devices that I use with success.
    cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• Leo_C
      • Mar 2002

Tried running the signal through the oldest VCR you can lay your hands on?

Leo

Comment

• cplevel42
        • Jun 2002

I have a fix!!! On Ebay you will find a device called a video stabilizer, basically a little black box that will clean out the copy guard and leave the raw signal that you want. I talked to many friends and this is the one. Read all about it here.

There are a few different ones, I think this is the best.
        If you have questions email me.
        cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• Somersetlad
          • Jan 2003

I have just seen your late 2001 question. Did you get any more advice or did you solve the problem??
          I too have a Sony Computer with Gigapocket (PCV TV490TV)
          and have tried recording protected VHS tapes, of course with no luck. As you say the Sony TV Gigapocket program is great.
          What about the blackbox that was talked about. Do you have any news about that. Presumably that would be installed between the VHS machine outlet and the Sony computer Video/S-video In port ??
          The Sony grahics capture card does not seem to be reconized by any software other than Sony stuff.
          Do you know if it is possible to install another capture card on the computer without affecting the Sony card. I have no room inside my computer but could (presumably) run the card through a USB, or would that be too slow.
          Your views appreciated.
          somersetlad
          May 2004

Comment

• cplevel42
            • Jun 2002

This is what you need. Use it on your output signal from the VHS player (before the PC) and it will completely clean the macrovision.

This is the exact unit I now have.

cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• Somersetlad
              • Jan 2003

Have only just seen your reply as I think I forgot to update my new email address for the forum. Must do that now.
              I am always truly amazed how much stuff people know.
              I'll try your suggestion; at $24 it's worth a try.
              My stepson would like that website as he is studying Japanesse in Japan.
              As a fellow owner of similar Sony computer innards, are you prepared to answer other questions I have about GigaPocket ??
              Regards
              somersetlad

Comment

Working...