X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dahammer
    • Mar 2004

Muxing subs w/ avi -> DVD w/out quality loss

Hello, I have two questions:
    I'm trying to encode subtitles into an AVI file. I think I've figured out the process with converting the format of the movie while running vobsub, but when I tried it once (converting AVI to MPEG) there was quite a loss of video quality. The software I used was called TMPGEnc. I didn't let it convert the entire movie, but only a portion. I watched that portion side by side with the original AVI using the same player, and noticed a big difference in quality. Is there any method/software that could mux the subtitles in with the movie without causing any quality loss? Or should I try to convert it into a different file type, if that matters? Or are there some certain options that I have to adjust in the TMPGEnc program to make it maintain its quality. Also, since my main goal is to put it all on a DVD without quality loss, would burning an AVI file onto a DVD cause loss of quality anyway?
    I also have another question: I've been able to merge the two movie files together into one (the movie that I'm trying to encode subtitles into). But I can't seem to join the two corresponding subtitle files. I tried vobsub joiner but it says it's "unable to open" the first sub file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Also, since my main goal is to put it all on a DVD without quality loss"

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• dahammer
      • Mar 2004

Thank you very much fo your response. I tried what you suggested, and it seemed to work with perfect quality! I converted it to MPEG2, FOR DVD, not for regular movie format. Though I do have another question: it seems to stretch the image so that it's no longer widescreen format; do you happen to know how to stop that?
      Also, I still need to find out how to merge those two subtitle files, otherwise I can't begin to burn the movie. If you have any programs or methods that you would recommend I would relly apprectiate it. Thanks again.

Comment

• dahammer
        • Mar 2004

Another thing, I've tried Vobsub joiner, and it was unable to open the subtitle files, though I've tried .srt and .sub files. I just tried Wiagra Easy Sub Joiner, and it did the job, but saved it as a video file. Is there a way to convert the video file into the subtitle file that it should be? Thanks

Comment

• dahammer
          • Mar 2004

Ok, nevermind about the joining of the two subtitle files. I downloaded Subtitle Workshop, and that did it. I also figured out how to adjust settings in TMPGEnc so that it keeps the frame size's aspect ratio. I just have one last question: It saves the movie file in two separate files: an .avi file, and a .wav file. To burn this onto a DVD, shouldn't it all be one file? Thanks.

Comment

Working...