Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quest7771
    • Apr 2004

Converting MP4 to MPEG-2

Hello I have a movie that is in MP4 format (MPEG-4), I want to convert it to MPEG-2, so I can convert it into VOB files. Does any body have any suggestion, what program I can use to convert this format. I have tried TMPGnc DVD Source Creator, the video looked fine, but I lost the audio. I know this is a good format, but my DVD player for my TV, will not play MP4 format, and I don't want to watch it on my computer all the time.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Try and use "TMPGEnc" (different from TMPGEnc DVD Author and TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator). Use the "Project Wizard" DVD template (NTSC or PAL) to accomplish the task. after the conversion, you will have a DVD compliant mpeg 2 file(s) that you can author with an application such as "TMPGEnc DVD Author" or "DVD Lab" into a DVD file structure. (.IFO, .BUP., .VOB)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
      Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Comment

• bond_d9
        • Mar 2004

if you mean with "mp4" the .mp4 file format than your audio is propably aac or mp3, which you will have to extract manually from .mp4 with mp4ui

if you mean an .avi than follow setarip's guide

Comment

• stronggerfate
          • May 2015

Originally Posted by quest7771
          Hello I have a movie that is in MP4 format (MPEG-4), I want to convert it to MPEG-2, so I can convert it into VOB files. Does any body have any suggestion, what program I can use to convert this format. I have tried TMPGnc DVD Source Creator, the video looked fine, but I lost the audio. I know this is a good format, but my DVD player for my TV, will not play MP4 format, and I don't want to watch it on my computer all the time.
          To convert MP4 files to MPEG-2, I highly recommend you to use iDelashare VideoGo which can convert MP4 to MPEG-2 or convert MP4 to DVD.vob encoded with MPEG-2 with almost the same video quality and video size.

To convert MP4 files for DVD, selecting DVD Video(.vob) from "General Video category" is highly recommended.

Comment

• haitianroi
            Luigiking
            • Apr 2016

Google video converter

Comment

• rozahmed
              • Jan 2017

Thanks !

Comment

• Paris Young
                • Dec 2018