Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sender
    • Apr 2004

DVDWorkshop and DVD-R

I have successfully authored and burned a DVD video that can be played in stand alone DVD player. But when I proceed to the second DVD, it failed. Both DVDs use the same encoding (CCED 2.5), same authoring (DVDWorkshop 2.011), same burning (Nero 5.5) and same batch of media (TDK DVD-R from the same box). But one can be played on Philips DVD931 while the other one can't (player ejected the disc). Here are some further info about my problem:

1. both compilations have 1 main menu and 2 sub-menu to cover 2 titles.
    2. success one has 4 chapters in each title, fail one has 4 in first title and 3 in the second title.
    3. success one is almost reach DVD-R's max capacity, failed one is only about 3.5GB.
    4. both compilations can burn to DVD+RW and can play on Philips player (this is for testing).
    5. both compilations can burn to DVD-R and can play on software player (WinDVD) in PC (this is for final product). But only one can play on stand alone player.

If the problem was caused by media, then why one DVD-R success while another DVD-R of the same batch failed? If it was caused by authoring or burning bugs, then why one could play while the other couldn't. I've examined the IFO files in the burned DVD-Rs and compare their contents using ifoedit, but nothing irregular was found.

My project was stopped by this problem since 6 weeks ago and this is already the 5th forum I post this problem. Please help.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Media out of the same box or drum can be of variant quality. Just yesterday I found mid-drum two physically and visually bad media. Admittedly I'm using up the last of my cheap white-top before getting something better but even the branded media must by statisitics hit a bad one.
    Have you tried a second -R of the compilation that played up?
    The player you mention in points 4 and 5: is it the same machine?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• sender
      • Apr 2004

Thanks for the reply.

For the failed one, I've tried 4 -Rs and all failed (same drum). For the success one, have made 2 -Rs and all played fine.

Pt. 4 and 5 are talking about the same Philips DVD931 player.

I've tried 2 cheap media before but my Sony burner didn't recognised the media at all. That's why I use the expensive TDK media. But still give my this problem.

What else can I do? Is it quite expensive for me if I have to try on different brand of media for every compilation.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

It's bizarre that the RW works. That in my books has got to prove the authoring is fine. Or is there something about your player that makes it more forgiving of your -RW than your -R?

Have you checked www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers for your brand of -R? Maybe others have a similar prob.

Have you looked up to see if there's a firmware upgrade for the burner maybe?

If it's the one movie that's a problem, have you tried ripping and authoring again? This is a long shot however!

Comment

• lgha
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Mar 2004

Does the Philips eject the disc at the start or does it try to play and at some point eject?

Comment

• sender
            • Apr 2004

It tried to play but eject at some point.

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

Still bizarre!
              Two -R successes might be a coincidence whilst the majority fail?
              I would try,
              a) firmware upgrade and,
              b) a recommended alternative media.

STOP PRESS! can't find the Philips 931, is it a recorder? I don't think Philips run -R media?

Comment

• sender
                • Apr 2004

Yes, majority of the -R that authored with DVDWorkshop failed. Only 2 out of 12 works.

Thanks for your suggestion:
                a) firmware upgrade - will try to hunt down the new firmware (couldn't be found in Philips site)
                b) tried Vibatim -R, also failed.

I bought the Philips 931 in 1999. The selling point of the player (printed on the box) was firmware upgradable and compatible to CD-R and CD-RW. In my experience, the success rate for -R when authored with Pinnicle Impression is 100% (16 disc) while with DVDWorkshop is 17% (2 out of 12). Even with the same titles, Impression-authored works while DVDWorkshop fails.

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

So, Pinnacle authored CD-R work in the Philips 931?
                  Be aware that DVD±R didn't come out till after CD-R/RW were well established.

Comment

• sender
                    • Apr 2004

I am saying Pinnacle authored DVD-R works in 931, and so does CD-R. Although 931 was manufactured long before home-made DVD, it does play DVD+RW and DVD-R but not DVD-RW and DVD+R. I didn't mix up the + and -. It is the +RW and -R that works in 931. I am using +RW to test and -R for the final product.

Comment

• sfheath
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Sep 2003

Sounds like you have a working system now - bizarre as it is!
                      Or is there still a problem we can try and help with?

Comment

• sender
                        • Apr 2004

Please refer to my first post in this thread for my problem.

Anywhere, I finally get my compilation works but still don't know the cause of the problem, so it may happen again. Here is what I did:

Some more background: My problem compilation use AC3 in the disc template. I check the IFO file with ifoedit and found that both menu and titles' audio are AC3 as expected.

I changed my disc template audio to mpeg and burn to disc, check IFO and found that the audio mode didn't change and the disc didn't play. I take a look at all audio setting in DWS, they all looks fine expect that the menu's audio file is in upper case (I guess this means the setting is from the menu template). I change it to the same audio file (came with the DWS), then it appear as lower case. Then I burn the disc again. This time the IFO showed that all audio mode (menu and titles) are in mpeg 1. Now the disc can be played in my Philips 931.

These mean:
                        1. Changing the disc template's audio doesn't means DWS will reencode the audio of the menu. You have to change something in the menu.
                        2. AC3 audio in the menu can't be played in my Philips 931. since menu is the first play, so the disc didn't work in the player.

Any comment?

Comment

• sender
                          • Apr 2004

Correct my conclusion (2):

2) DWS + AC3 in menu +DVD-R can't be played in my Philips 931 (have to correct because Impression + AC3 in menu + DVD-R works, DWS +AC3 in menu + DVD+RW works).

Comment

• sfheath
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Sep 2003

I just fried my brain re-reading this LOL
                            Can't comment on your applications as I'm unfamiliar with them.
                            I don't know when AC3 came in but would be surprised if early DVD players can't play them.
                            I notice you specified mpeg1. Please note this is VCD compatibility. SVCD/DVD compatibility is mpeg2.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎