Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc Gamble
    • Apr 2004

Unique problem - need advice

Hello, everyone. I discovered this wonderful forum last night.

I have a unique problem.

I have a digital camera (Panasonic Lumex) that has the capability of shooting video with audio at 30 fps. I have shot some stuff with it, and when played back in the camera, it looks and sounds fine.

HOWEVER - on the computer, the video is fine but the audio is terrible. It's recorded in MOV format, so Quick Time is required. In Quick Time, the audio is terribly choppy.

So I searched on the net for a converter and found
    WinMPEGconvert. That program converts MOV to AVI.

Now the video is still good, and the audio is better, but it has a high-pitched ringing that I can't equalize out with WinAmp.

Now come the questions:

1: Is there any better way to improve the audio?

2: I have CoolEdit 2000. Is there a way that I can work with the audio with Cool Edit to enhance and/or filter it, and then re-assemble the audio and video so that they are in sinc?
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"1: Is there any better way to improve the audio?"

Yes; with an audio editor such as CoolEdit-which you already have.

"2: I have CoolEdit 2000. Is there a way that I can work with the audio with Cool Edit to enhance and/or filter it, and then re-assemble the audio and video so that they are in sinc?"

I would first convert the .MOV file(s) to mpeg 1/2 using "TMPGEnc" (different from TMPGEnc DVD Author) Once you have the file in mpeg format, you can "De-multiplex" (separate) the video from the audio and work on enhancing the audio file in CoolEdit. Then, when you have the audio to your liking, "Multiplex" (combine) the audio back with the video into a new mpeg file. The de-multiplexing and multiplexing can all be done with TMPGEnc. Also, beforehand, you need to get the QTReader plugin for TMPGEnc so it can read .MOV (Quicktime) files.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
      • Apr 2004

Wow! That was fast! Thanks a ton for the advice. I'll let you know how I make out.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

Hope it works out.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
          • Apr 2004

I've converted an AVI file to MPG and de-multiplexed it. I could not work with a MOV file as I get an error prompt. The audio file is mp2. Is that what I want?
          When I load it to Cool Edit I'm not seeing a wave form. It seems to be white noise. I think I've
          missed a step or something.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"I could not work with a MOV file as I get an error prompt"

Are you using TMPGEnc and did you put the QTReader plugin in the TMPGEnc folder?

"The audio file is mp2. Is that what I want"

You should convert the mp2 to an uncompressed WAV file to work with in CoolEdit.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
              • Apr 2004

Are you using TMPGEnc and did you put the QTReader plugin in the TMPGEnc folder?
              Yes to TMPGEnc and no to QTReader. I'll go find that plugin and add it to the folder.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
                • Apr 2004

Well I'm stalled: When I choose a mirror site I get the following error:

Sorry - you have reached this page because of one of the following reason :
                You did something that is not allowed on this server

Our files can only be downloaded if you clicked on a link to them on an authorised site (eg. DVD, DivX Digest, Nickyguides). Sites that illegally hot-link or direct-link to our files will find that the link will redirect to our anti-leech page.

I've even shut down Zone Alarm Pro and I still get that error message. Any ideas?

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"Any ideas"

The anti-leech thing is a hassle I know. Just keep trying different sites until you get lucky. Type this parameter in your search engine: “QTReader”TMPGEnc%
                  Last edited by ormonde; 28 Apr 2004, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
                    • Apr 2004

That worked. I have it now. Thanks again.

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"That worked. I have it now. Thanks again."

Glad to be of help

Comment

• Doc Gamble
                        • Apr 2004

Okay - I'm getting there (slowly!!!)

I converted MOV to MPG2 and the audio is quite good --- actually it's the best that I've had it so far. If I stopped at this point I'd be fairly happy. But I did a simple de-multiplex and ended up with and mp2 audio file.

Could you please guide me how to convert it to a WAV? Also after I work with it in Cool Edit, I'm assuming I have to save the enhanced file as mp2 before multiplexing. Am I correct?

I'm most appreciative of the help and advice that you've given me up until now.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
                          • Apr 2004

Addendum to the above post - I have converted using WinAmp, so the only question is do I have to convert back to mp2 before multiplexing? I assume that I do.

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"do I have to convert back to mp2 before multiplexing"

That would be the best option for TMPGEnc. You can accomplish this with the program.

1. Launch TMPGEnc. If the "Project Wizard" dialog box comes up, just cancel out of it.

2. At the bottom, you will see two windows. (Video Source + Audio Source)

3. In the "Audio Source" window, load your edited WAV file.

4. GO to "File" > "Output to File" and choose "Mpeg File" from the flyout menu. This will save your outputted audio file to mp2.

Comment

• Doc Gamble
                              • Apr 2004

I thought Ihad it, but somehow I'm doing something wrong. I can't even make a simple conversion from MOV to MPG now. What I'm getting is video running at high speed and no audio. It would be nice if there was a help file with the program.

Here's the file info from the last file I tried to convert:

The MOV file is 17.6 MB (18,495,378 bytes)
                              length 5:55
                              but after I convert to MPG I'm getting

Video size: 352x240 (1150kbps)
                              Audio: 44100hz, 16bps, 2ch (224kbps)
                              Length: 0:00:37
                              Bitrate: 1406kbps

I'm stumped.

Comment

Working...