a/v synch fine as avi, audio compressed after mpeg conversion, small hard drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • be4con
    • Jun 2004

a/v synch fine as avi, audio compressed after mpeg conversion, small hard drive

Hello, I'm fairly new to all this so please forgive any ignorance...

I had an .avi file which I wanted to convert to VCD. It was too large for one disc so I attempted to split it in virtual dub. The original .avi file had no audio sync probs.
    In VD the audio was all in the first 1/2 of the movie, so I saved the audio as a .pcm file. Then I used TMPGenc to re-encode as a VCD compliant MPEG using the original .avi as video source and the new .pcm file as audio source. The resultant MPEG file starts in sync but the sound progressively trails the video through the movie.

I tried to correct this by demultiplexing the file in TMPGenc and then running the resultant .mp2 file through Audacity audio editor with the intention of slowing the audio file down, however (and here's the likely stumbling block) I ran out of hard drive space before the file had even loaded into Audacity. I only have about 1.5Gb of free space once I have the original MPEG, the .mp2 and the .m1v files on board (relic pc I'm afraid).

Am I going to have to give up on the idea until I can afford new hardware, or can anyone offer me any less memory hungry fixes. The .mp2 file is only 150Mb so I thought I'd have enough space to tinker with it a bit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Last edited by be4con; 12 Jun 2004, 08:16 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"It was too large for one disc so I attempted to split it in virtual dub. The original .avi file had no audio sync probs."

Split it in TMPGEnc instead, as follows:

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Comment

• be4con
      • Jun 2004

Thanks, just tried it but 2 problems

1) it's an .avi file so I just get an error message telling me it's not an MPEG. It's after the conversion to MPEG that the a/v sync problems started so if I split the MPEG I get audio out of sync.

2) don't I need to use virtual dub so I can identify key frames so that I don't lose data when I split it?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

When I said, "Split it in TMPGEnc instead, as follows: TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut", I of course meant first convert the file to MPEG format...

Comment

Working...