Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danny-p
    • Jun 2004

A good dvd Authoring software?

Can anyone recommend a good/easy to use dvd Authoring software that doesnt degrade the sound quality/vloume once burnt to dvd-r?

The reason i ask is ive spent a small fortune on TMPGenc dvd Author 1.5 and AC3 sound plug in and it doesn't do what it says on the tin..The volume is as low as a third of the original source's once burnt to dvd-r.
    I've tried every feature within the software audio conversion wise and the publishers were suggesting that the inside components of my £2k dvd player may not like the chapters as opposed to the menu's Either way i've demo'd the finished dvd on several high street store players with the same results.

For video and interactive menu's then yeah, TMPGenc is definately excellent but the sound was my main reason for buying it to be honest and i'm really dissapointed.

Basically i'll be editing previously recorded music video's from sky+'s music channels onto dvd-ram disks and then creating each dvd chapter as a music video where i can play on my household dvd player as / when required...Sound quality is a must/ video isn't that important.
    Thanks in advance

Danny
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

" i'll be editing previously recorded music video's from sky+'s music channels"

What is the audioformat of these downloaded videos?

Comment

• Danny-p
      • Jun 2004

AC-3 as far as i'm aware as once the dvd ram disk is inserted it auto highlights ac3 and when you go to the little triangle to open the other possible formats theres no others there.

The menu's music video's are perfect after the AC3 plug in waves its magic but it doesnt like the chapters for some strange frustrating reason.

Comment

• Danny-p
        • Jun 2004

What changes does the source file go through between the motion menu and the chapter menu?
        Bearing in mind i've tried using the same file for both and again the motion menu was perfect and the chapter one was nearly silent in comparison

I'd love to send a fellow DVD Author 1,5 user one music video and i'd be very interested in their results?
        Last edited by Danny-p; 15 Jun 2004, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

More important than the volume of the Chapter sub-menu, what is the audio like when you actually play the contents (not the menus)?

Comment

• Danny-p
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by setarip
            More important than the volume of the Chapter sub-menu, what is the audio like when you actually play the contents (not the menus)?
            Thats the problem, the contents is almost mute...its about a third of the original sources volume.. the menu's are correct..the volume hasn't decreased at all.

Comment

• Danny-p
              • Jun 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by setarip
              " i'll be editing previously recorded music video's from sky+'s music channels"
              What is the audioformat of these downloaded videos?
              [/Q
              Dear Danny-p,

Thank you for your mail.

You wrote:

> I wrote:
              > > Once my Dvd-ram disks have been edited using TMPGenc dvd Author 1.5 with
              AC-3 plug in and all my motion menu's have been created using the same files
              then the files burnt via the writing tool within TMPGenc Dvd Author 1.5 onto a
              blank dvd-r then i have the following problem:
              > : The menu (motion video) volume is perfect/ no loss of volume therefore it is
              identical in all ways to the original dvd ram data....BUT....The created dvd
              chapters (music video's from sky+ cable) volume is about a third of the
              originals volume...
              > I have just done a test by authoring 1 music video and having the same file as
              my motion menu and as my chapter and the exact results were gained...The video
              chapter almost silent and the menu's as they were originally on cable?
              > You said:
              > The problem is whether your audio source is AC-3?
              > >
              > It is dolby digital 2.0/2.1 and some are dolby prologic 2.
              > I've set within the options environmental settings all of the options sound
              wise to enabled..so all audio sources will be converted to AC-3.
              >
              > But its costing me quite alot as i'm going through dvd -r's fast...
              > You also said:
              > Otherwise, if your audio in chapter has been encoded in AC-3 format also it
              means that the audio in your motion menu's and chapter menu's are the same
              > >
              > True, but how do i re-encode the chapters only, using the AC-3 plug in?
              > Please can you describe step by step how / what i need to do to correct this
              niggle?
              > PS.. i've tried all 20+ of my finished/ useless dvd's on 8 different dvd
              players and all symptoms are identical so this should rule out chipset
              differentials.
              > In a worse case scenario i could maybe forward you one of my music video's
              (virus checked) and you could try and set it as the motion menu and as the
              chapter?
              > Thanks and i look forward to your reply

In fact, the problem is that your source format "It is dolby digital 2.0/2.1 and
              some are dolby prologic 2". For TMPGEnc AC3 Plug-in, when you are using source
              files with AC-3 audio, for instance, files made from a DVD-recorder or MPEG
              files, you can re-encode the AC-3 audio, but AC-3 with 5.1 channels or other
              multi-channel sources cannot be re-encoded.

But for your BGM, it need to be re-encode to it menu .VOB file, the audio format
              in it is Linear PCM. So if you want the same audio as your BGM, you can do it by
              re-encode your audio data in your chapter.

In the "Source setup" window, on it left block, you can see "Track list", for
              change it settings by "Settings" button, so you can change the "Audio format"
              setting in "Track settings" windows. For re-encode your audio in it track, you
              need just to change "Compression Format" of Audio Format in "Linear PCM". you
              can have a same volume as your BGM.

UOTE]

So by selecting linear PCM the Audio is perfect on both BGM and most importantly the chapters.
              Thanks for your help regarding this Setarip.
              Danny

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"So by selecting linear PCM the Audio is perfect on both BGM and most importantly the chapters."

But that also makes for a VERY significantly larger audiostream filesize than .AC3...

Comment

• Danny-p
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by setarip
                  "So by selecting linear PCM the Audio is perfect on both BGM and most importantly the chapters."

But that also makes for a VERY significantly larger audiostream filesize than .AC3...
                  I know, tell me about it!!
                  Had to remove a track per dvd to fit them all on, but at least the audio is perfect.
                  Danny-p

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

Why not encode to mp2 audio in tmpgenc? Cuts the size down, and if you use a decent bitrate, you don't lose a ton of quality.
                    Author everything in DVDLab
                    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• Danny-p
                      • Jun 2004

Ok, i'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎