X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XiD
    • Jun 2004

regarding firmware upgrade*USB* and Liteon 812s

Hello.
    I have been using DRU-500ULX for a while but ordered LiteOn SOHW-812S after its lens went bad.
    And as I see there are lots of things going on about this one...making me very curious of how to deal it.
    So here goes questions:

1) I bought IDE version(of course) but also USB case to put that in for connection with my laptop(I usually use laptop in my dorm, and now I'm in home). DO YOU THINK FIRMWARE UPGRADE WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM WHEN USING USB CONNECTION?(my previous one, external from beginning, thus didn't have any problem. but this is different situation)

2) How this drive(812s) sensitive on kinds of media?
    That is, would buying cheap(but well-sold) dvd media be ok in this drive? I thought there should not be trouble but I see some report "you better go Pioneer/Plexter if you decide to go for cheap media". If so then I guess I'm troubled.

3) I know that firmware upgrade is always dangerous. But is DL upgrade for 812s(that is, 812s@832s) particularly dangerous? I think I'll just do it for future but if is so maybe I should put that aside for a while till I have enough access to DL media.

*added*
    4) Also, since I'm using USB connection when I connect it to laptop I assume DMA setting will NOT work. Do you think there is any trouble for it?(I mean, essentially it is impossible to use DMA if I connect externally but is there any bad for using external connectors)

Thanks.
Working...