X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FHM
    • Jul 2004

Memorex 4X DVD-R Problem

Hey guys,

I have recently started to record some DVDs. An old friend gave me some sample media to use and it worked great. I tried to find out what type of media it was, but was unable to.

I just purchaessed some Memorex 4X DVD-R disks and I am getting errors when I am trying to burn. I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104

Call me an idiot but I am new into this burning game. I have never purchased media either. Should I have purchased some DVD-RW disks?

DVD Shrink won't burn to the disk.
  • Billy_Black
    • Mar 2004

Try running the good ones through this, it might identify them for you.

Comment

• FHM
      • Jul 2004

What exactly are you wanting me to do here? I ran the software and it reported no problems. Then after I quit DVD Identifier, I can't eject the DVD disk. I have to reboot each time to exject it after running DVDShrink and or this program.

Comment

• Billy_Black
        • Mar 2004

The point is to see who the true manufacturer of the discs that worked were..
        An old friend gave me some sample media to use and it worked great. I tried to find out what type of media it was, but was unable to.
        The app should read the Manufactuter's ID, and tell you the speed and type (-R, +R). Today's Memorex could be different than tommorrows, Verbatim also uses at least 4 different makers (CMC, MCC, TY etc.)

Comment

• FHM
          • Jul 2004

Here is the media I was using and having no problems at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R: PRINCO]
          Disc Type : [DVD-R]
          Manufacturer ID : [PRINCO]
          Manufacturer Name : [Princo Corp.]
          Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
          Recording Speeds : [1x , (2x)]
          Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
          [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]
          Last edited by FHM; 10 Jul 2004, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• FHM
            • Jul 2004

and this is the media that I was having problems with and just purchased 100 of these from Best Buy. =[

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:NO_ID_PRESENT]
            Disc Type : [DVD-R]
            Manufacturer ID : [Not Present On Disc]
            Manufacturer Name : [Unknown Manufacturer ID]
            Disc Application Code : [Restricted Use : General Purpose]
            Recording Speeds : [1x , (2x)]
            Blank Disc Capacity : [268,238,848 Sectors = 523,904.0MB = 511.63GB (549.35GB)]
            [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Comment

• FHM
              • Jul 2004

Two questions:

A: Will Best Buy take these disks back?
              B: What kind of disks should I purchase for my burner?

I also would like to thank everyone for their help.

Comment

• Billy_Black
                • Mar 2004

Interesting. The Princo's are used by many, but most folks will call them junk and say that they will become unplayable over time, but many swear by them. It seems they worked for you.

They should be easy to find from online vendors.

These were Princo's last time I used them, they worked fine for me and are priced right.

These sound interesting, I might have to try some.

Meritline claims that they both will work with your burner.

I use Ritek/RIDATA G04's pretty much exclusively. They work great for me but I don't know about your 104.

The price has dropped in half over the last 6 months.

I would try to return the unidentified discs (seems odd they don't ID).

Good Luck

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

I have had problems with 4x Memorex media. I only bought two to test with luckily.

They burned fine but, only played in one player. I got a dirty disc error in my main player. The second disc was the same. My main player normally plays -R's and +R's without any problems.

DVDinfopro told me they are CMC discs. My Memorex +RW's are the same. The media code is slightly different though.

I have had success with Memorex -R's in the past plus their +RW's and +R's.

I am using Ridisc 4x Grade A Riteks -R's now. They play fine in all of my players.

Comment

• FHM
                    • Jul 2004

Thanks guys, I'll go to Best Buy and try to pick out some new disks. I hope they will take back the 100 pack.

Comment

Working...