Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highway Man
    • Jul 2004

Removing embedded subtitles

I downloaded a japanese .AVI with an embedded subtitle (french). However I want to remove this french subtitle and replace it with an english subtitle.
    I already have the appropriate englisch subtitle. But I seem not to get rid of the french one.
    Does anyone know how to fix it.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To eliminate subtitles from (DivX-compressed or other) .AVI videos

If you are fortunate enough to have the subtitles appearing below the movie image (rather than across the image itself, you can "erase" the subtitles by using VirtualDub as follows (it's not as complicated as it sounds):

1) Load the .AVI into VirtualDub (or one of its variants)
    2) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    3) Set "Video" to "Full Processing Mode"
    4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and select the same codec and settings that were used for the original .AVI
    5) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Filters"
    6) Click on the "Add" radio button
    7) Doubleclick on the "Null transform" filter
    8) Click on the "Cropping" radio button
    9) Enter the proper amount in the "Y2 offset" (at lower left) to cut off the subtitles
    10) Click on "OK"
    11) Click on the "Add" radio button
    12) Doubleclick on the "Resize" filter
    13) Under "New width and height" enter the NEW dimensions of your cropped video (e.g. 720x440)
    14) Select "Precise bicubic"
    15) Put a checkmark in "Expand frame and letterbox image"
    16) Set "frame width" and "frame height" to the ORIGINAL dimensions (e.g. 720x480)
    17) Click on "OK" (brings you back to primary "Filters" screen" and then click on "OK" (to get back to main VirtualDub screen)
    18) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save AVI" and save with a NEW filename

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Highway Man
      • Jul 2004

Setarip,

Does this mean that I am going to loose some parts of the original image when I "filter" out the subtitles. Because the subtitles appear in the bottom part of the picture (across the Image).

If so, I am still looking for another solution, but this one will help with another problem that I have encountered.

Thanx for the fast reply

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Does this mean that I am going to loose some parts of the original image when I "filter" out the subtitles. Because the subtitles appear in the bottom part of the picture (across the Image)."

Unfortunately, yes...

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎