X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troy Spiral
    • Jul 2004

Dual Layer DVD burners?

Dual Layer DVD Burners?

From how i understand it, "dual layer" means, no need for compression when backing up DVDs anymore? Correct?

I did a quick search and i see listed Dual Layer DVD Burners for under 200 dollars? Am i understanding this right? For some reason i thought dual layer DVD burners were insanely expensive and home-use dual layer burners were a long way off. Not true?

These here:

are burners that will allow direct dvd backups (with the apropriate software) without compression? How much are resonably priced dual layer blank DVDS?
  • Six
    • May 2004

DL Burner and Media

“From how i understand it, "dual layer" means, no need for compression when backing up DVDs anymore? Correct?”

Dual Layer (DL) means that the media is made with two writable surfaces, one underneath the other, on one side of the disc. This is the way commercial DVD-movies are made and that is way they need compressing before a back-up copy on a Single Layer DVD can be made. A DL DVD-media can contain up to 8.54 GB ( i.e 2 x 4.7GB media in one). So if you burn a back-up copy on a DL DVD-R you are essentially using the same media as the original DVD. Another name for this type of media is DVD 9. Check out www.videohelp.com/dvd for more info on media.

“I did a quick search and i see listed Dual Layer DVD Burners for under 200 dollars? Am i understanding this right? For some reason i thought dual layer DVD burners were insanely expensive and home-use dual layer burners were a long way off. Not true?”

I bought a Dual Layer burner only a couple of weeks ago but I don’t expect to burn any DL in yet a year or two, the price tag on the media is all too high The player I bought was NEC ND-2510A. It costs about $130 here in Sweden, which I think is an OK price, even cheaper then many Single Layer Burners out there. The price for DVD 9-media in Sweden is about $20 - $40 a piece. Very much to high for my taste :0) So the problem is more the price tag on the media then on the burners.

I’ve only had the NEC burner for a couple of weeks but so far I can highly recommend it.

Comment

• Troy Spiral
      • Jul 2004

thanks for the detailed reply , very helpful =)

Comment

• Six
        • May 2004

Glad I could help

Comment

• Phytrax
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jul 2004

Just a couple more things. Yes the burners are quite cheap, around the same price as a normal 8x burner usually. The meda run about $20 each in the US now though.

Also, this does not mean you can make backups of movies without compression. The burnable disks are still only 8.5 gb, where as SOME OF the disks your movies are stamped on can be up to 9.4 gb.

I'd also expect the dual layer disks to be a little less compatible with stand alone dvd players, but this remains to be seen.

Finally, dual layer discs are only burned at 2.4x for now, even on 12x burners.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎