Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Assyrian-King
    • Jul 2004

Problem With Media!

I've got "Datastream Professional DVD+R (4.7GB) 4X" Media, and "Datastream Professional DVD+RW (4.7GB) 2.4X" Media.

The problem is with 'DVD+R 4X' Media when i burn my movie with that media, it plays back in my (Pioneer DV-266) DVD Player with errors n pixels appearing very regularly over the video and freezes all over the movie and jitters and some features of my dvd movie do not play back at all, instead reboots my dvd player.
    With 'Datastream DVD+RW 2.4X' Media i use the same process of burning and configurations for the dvd and it plays back flawlessly with no errors or freezes whatsoever.

The problem seems to occur more often towards the end of the video, therefore could it be a speed burning issue or something?... as its more problematic as it gets closer to the end of the video where its reading towards outer tracks of the DVD Media. I've tried burning it again and still same problem, also tried burning other movies, so its not the movie itself as they do work on the other media fine. The 'Datastream DVD+R 4X' Media doesn't give the option in Nero to burn at 4X instead only 2.4X, My DVD Burner is a 4X Burner as I have burnt at this speed with other media brands.

- i use these settings in nero for my dvd-

1. DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)
    2. No Multisession
    3. ISO Level 1
    4. ISO 9660
    5. Allow path depth of more than 8 dir
    6. Allow more than 255 char in path
    7. Allow more than 64 characters for joliet names
    8. Force DVD-Video compatibility mode

- also tried burning without 5,6 disabled but still same problems.

Also with the 'Datastream Professional DVD+R 4X' Media you can get 2 types of the exact DVD+R's in spindles, 1 type is the non glossy, printable white surface media, and the other is the same but in your normal shiny surface with DATASTREAM Professional Logo and details and contents on it etc.
    The Media that doesn't have any logo or any text or graphics printed on it (the non glossy printable types) playback flawlessly when ive used them to burn before, but it seems now these ones with text and logo are the ones i'm having playback problems.
    I don't understand this as they are the exact same DVD+R's apart from choosing to buy them with or without the printable white surface.

I also tried the DVD in my XBOX and it plays fine there....., but still i don't see why it won't play in my Pioneer DVD Player, when the same brand and type has played perfect before.

I'm really confused as why this is the case and any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

My system config - 1800+ cpu, 256mb ram, 64mb gfx
    - Windows XP Professional SP1
    - Nero Burning Rom v6.0.0.11
    - HP DVD Writer 300n
  • Assyrian-King
    • Jul 2004

I emailed bu-tek, they are the manufacturers:

I updated my firmware succesfully from the link you gave me, also i updated my Nero to V6.3.1.17, i then burnt the movie again but still the same problems as before. still it burns the media at 2.4X, but the inkjet printables which are also 4X burn at 2.4x aswell and I do not have problems with them, do you have anymore suggestions?. Will i be able to refund my media as this is false advertising because the packaging is the same and the media is also completely identical to the DVD+RW, therefore people would ofcourse expect the same performance from your media.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: xxxxxxx
    Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 11:59 AM
    Subject: Re: Problem With Media

Hi xxxxxxx,

While I don' t have a HP 300n drive to test the media, I have just burn a movie with a Pioneer DVR-107D using the Datastream Professional DVD+R media. It seems to play ok. I used to have problem with DVD+R media using Nero 6.0.0.0, but they went away after I upgraded Nero to V6.3.1.17.
    My suggestion is try updating Nero and the firmware of your burner and see if that can solve the problem. Below is a link to the HP site with the latest firmware for your drive. Please read the instructions carefully before attempting to upgrade firmware, as improper upgrade can damage your drive.

The Inkjet printable DVD+R and the Professional series DVD+R are different medias, although they look the same, but they are from two different manufacturing processes. It is possible that the firmware of the drive is not recognising the newer type of media properly, therefore not burning it properly or recognising it as a 4X media. Try the suugestions above and see if you can get them working.

Thanks for your support!

kind regards,

xxxxxxxxxx
    Bu-Tek Industries Pty Ltd.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: vic@bu-tek.com.au
    Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 4:38 PM
    Subject: Problem With Media

I've purchased your "Datastream DVD+R (4.7GB) 4X" 19pack Spindle, and "Datastream DVD+RW (4.7GB) 2.4X" 5Pack.

The problem is with your 'DVD+R 4X' Media when i burn my DVD video files with that media, it plays back in my (Pioneer DV-266) DVD Player with errors n pixels appearing very regularly over the video and freezes all over the movie and jitters and some features of my dvd movie do not play back at all, instead reboots my dvd player.
    With your 'Datastream DVD+RW 2.4X' Media i use the same process of burning and configurations for the dvd and it plays back flawlessly with no errors or freezes whatsoever.

The problem seems to occur more often during the end of the video, therefore could it be a speed burning issue or somthing?... as its more problematic as it gets closer to the end of the video where it starts to read on the outer tracks of the DVD Media. I've tried burning it again and still same problem, also tried burning other video files, so its not the files itself as they do work on your other media fine. The 'Datastream DVD+R 4X' Media doesnt give the option in Nero to burn at 4X instead only 2.4X, My DVD Burner is a 4X Burner as I have burnt at this speed with other media brands.

Also with the 'Datastream DVD+R 4X' Media you sell 2 types of the exact DVD+R's in spindles, 1 type is the non glossy, printable white surface media, and the other is the same but in your normal shiny surface with your DATASTREAM Professional Logo and details and contents on it.
    The Media that doesn't have your logo or any text or graphics printed on it (the non glossy printable types) playback flawlessly, but it seems the ones with your text and such are the ones i'm having playback problems. I don't understand this as they are the exact same DVD+R's apart from choosing to buy them with or without the printable white surface.

I also tried the DVD in my XBOX DVD Player and it plays fine there, but still i don't see why it won't play in my Pioneer DVD Player.

I'm really confused as why this is the case and some feedback as soon as possible would be gretaly appreciated, thankyou!

My system config - 1800+ cpu, 256mb ram, 64mb gfx
    - Windows XP Professional SP1
    - Nero Burning Rom v6.0.0.11
    - DVD Burner = HP DVD Writer 300n

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

I strongly suggest you purchase some Ritek G04 media.

Comment

• Assyrian-King
        • Jul 2004

ive given up! these dvd discs are same branded and packaged dvd's, apart from either choosing to buy inkjet printable surface, or the standard ones with there logo and text printed on them, the inkjet ones work but the non inkjet printables dont! this is stupid!, i dont know why they do this 'false advertisment' so im gonna go refund these discs, hope they refund them! or im stuck with a 20 pack of non usable dvd's!!

- then im going to try ritek dvd+r 4x media, as over 15 ppl have all said they recomend i try these, so if they work im sticking to them for good.

- can i get everyones opinion on this price i got from the pc supplier i buy from who have real cheap prices.

Price $39AUD - RITEK DVD+R 4.7GB 4x Media 25 TUB
        - equal to $1.56AUD per disc

- I've converted this price into USD for people in USA - $1.09USD per disc, is this a good price?

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"I've converted this price into USD for people in USA - $1.09USD per disc, is this a good price?"

I believe you can get a better price by going here:

Comment

• Assyrian-King
            • Jul 2004

ormonde thats a 50c price difference per disc....ur link has them for 50c less but if were to buy them i'd be paying alot more to ship them here, about an extra $100AUD!

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"but if were to buy them i'd be paying alot more to ship them here, about an extra $100AUD!"

Sorry that I missed the fact you reside in Australia. However, Your initial question was, which I responded to was: "$1.09USD per disc, is this a good price?" From a USD standard, 50 cents less is a better price.

Comment

• Kinta777
                • May 2004

IT warehouse in SA are selling 'White Label - Printable discs" for $39 AUD until the end of this month, so get in Quick. I bought 300 of them as thay are the only media I have bought that will burn at 4X with my LG burner.

DVD Decrytor has detected these as PRINCO discs so if time is a factor, 13 min DVD's is a good thing !!

Comment

Working...