X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgonick
    • Jul 2004

Transferring to computer

I'm new to all this...

I have a few questions about transferring content to a computer.

I have a Hi8 camcorder and I transfer it to my computer by connecting it to my video card. I understand this is analog that I'm capturing and turning it to digital. The quality of the video is okay, not great-- but just as good as a VHS tape.

I've been thinking of getting a Digital8 or MiniDV camcorder.

Question 1: Is transferring Digital faster than analog?
    If so, How much faster? What is the difference in the transferring digital? I'm confused how it works: example, My digital camera you just transfer files over-- I'm a little confused about the digital camcorder and tape..

Question 2: With USB 2 out can you transfer it with USB or do you still have to use firewire? (for good quality)

Question 3: Which is better MiniDV or Digital8? Why?

Thanks for the help..
  • Phytrax
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jul 2004

I have a digital 8 camcorder. It transfers about the same speed as analog would. 1hr movie takes 1hr to copy. You get MUCH better quality though. Everything is transferred digitally so there is no quality loss whatsoever. You wind up with very large files though, until you finish editing them and out to mpg, divx, etc. The large files will actually be BETTER than DVD quality though! Of course unless you're an expert with lighting and scene composition the overall quality will not be like Hollywood.

I don't think the quality is any different with DV compared to Digital 8 as far as the camera. Digital 8 does allow you to take longer video's though. 60-90 min compared to 30 min. (90 min is a sony extended format). The only advantage I see with Mini DV is they tend to be smaller and possibly can transfer faster, but I'm not sure.

I would think you could use a USB2 port on a camera but Fire Wire seems to be the standard for video, and I haven't seen any that use USB.
    Last edited by Phytrax; 30 Jul 2004, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎