X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckmcnally
    • Jul 2003

Dual Layer blank DVDs

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried burning a dual layer blank DVD in either - or + format using a standard burner and not the newer dual layer burners? I want to find out if its possible.. Thanks
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Not possible unless there is some sort of firmware upgrade available for DL support

There is also very little difference between a non DL burner and a DL burner (in the uk it is as little as £10-£20 more for a DL). So it makes sense to go straight to a DL one.

There is also only DL + at the moment. DL - will be out later this year.

Comment

• Floppy

Ah! DL...

I thinks in a few months time everyone will be wondering instead about BD drives.

I will wait until then to buy a DL drive.

They will be cheaper and supporting both -/+

Anyway, I'm sure that it wont work. And about that firmware patch that would help do this... I would not want to kill my drive (or recommend anyone should try it). Get my jist?

But it out there somewhere.
      Last edited by Guest; 17 Aug 2004, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• bamo
        • Jun 2004

Yes it does work on the NEC 2500 using Herrie's hacked firmware changes it to a DL burner.

Comment

• Floppy

mmm have you burned a DL dvd that works with this hacked firmware for the NEC 2500?

Comment

• bamo
            • Jun 2004

Yes go check this out.

Comment

• Floppy

It seems to me that this is the tests for a sory dru700a.

it says so in the box...

I will prefer still to buy a proper drive.

Two reasons being.

- A red laser drive uses a completly different wavelenght to a Blue laser drive which incidentaly is the optical technology that DL DVD writable drives use Thus even if the firmware will make the drive burn a dual layer the finished disk is bound to have playback issues with some standalone players.

- I rather wait little longer for the cream of the crop. -/+ R RW DVD DL Drives. And not risk a burnt drive.
              Last edited by Guest; 18 Aug 2004, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• bamo
                • Jun 2004

The reader was the Sony. It says so on the box. Not the writer.
                The only difference between the NEC single layer burner and double layer burner is the firmware.
                It would seem you have been misinformed.

Comment

• Floppy

If I was misinformed then, explain to me please why is it most people in this forum are experiencing problems of every sort?

Some have unrecogniseble media, some have their software not work with the drive anymore, not to mention the rest,it's havoc!

Dont trust my word for it everyone just read on to the bottom of the link http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96333 posted by bamo.

My friend simply how sure are you that the diference between the drives is just a firmware one.

Me I stick to my idea, regardless of how much I would like the thought of turning my drive into something else with a frankestein firmware version.

Comment

• bamo
                    • Jun 2004

Misinformed about DL writers.I don't mention anything else.
                    The NEC SL + DL writer is identical this has been proved beyond doubt in the NEC forum @cdfreaks.
                    This so called Frankenstein firmware by Herrie has taken a great drive and made it the best writer out there.
                    He has turned a SL writer into a DL writer, added bitseting of DVD+R ,rip lock,region free,added more media compatibility and faster burning speeds.
                    These firmwares have been used by countless number of people and really does improve the drive.Ive flashed mine about 20 times now with various versions of Herrie's firmware with no ill effect.

Comment

• Floppy

I still think the ratio of sucssess using this frankenstein firmware is far to high stacked against the average user, thats all.

You my friend are lucky.

Me Im apparently a person who is not qualified enough to comment over these faults/problems other users are experiencing, never mind all other issues.

To all the users reading this thread I apologise for trying to put my views across on hacked firmware. As for you bamo, I wish you the best of luck with your continued use of your drive.

I bow down to your superior experience and knowledge in electronic components, bamo, please continue to share this with everyone.

As will I on the other side of this street.

Comment

Working...