• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Menem
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Feb 2002

How to remove the audio from an avi file

I would like to know if there is a way to fix the audio from an avi file or just remove it and re-encode it then add it back. I have avi's that shows an error saying "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values duing the processing for better compatibility." Does that mean VirtualDub can't re-encode avis with audio encoded with VBR? if so how do I change it to CBR or other.
    me gusta la coca cola con ron
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

you can re-encode the audio in the movie without splitting audio and video, using virtualdubmod...

1. open the file in vdubmod

2. under "video", select "direct stream copy"

3. under "streams", select "stream list"

4. right click the audio stream shown, and click "full processing mode"

5. right click the audio stream again, and click "compression"

6. select your desired codec and bitrate, then click OK, and OK again.

7. click "file", and then "save as avi", and save with a new name.

good luck
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

Virtual dub gives the error you stated with vbr audio. CBR audio is more of standard ie 128k or whatever you choose. You can do as "ziadost" stated or I have chosen "direct strem copy" for both audio and video and save the file. This keeps the audio and video compressed and makes the necessary changes. This saves alot of time.

Comment

• Carlos Menem
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Feb 2002

I did both methods as you stated, but it shows an error "the source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)".

There is a problem, all the avis I have that have the divx3 video codec show the error on the bottom as text not msg, but only a few of the avis with divx3 that have VBR sound show the VBR problem that says "VD has detected an improper VBR audio encoding" So what I want to do is change the VBR to CBR, but the problem is that as soon as I click "Save as" and type a name and hit enter, the first msg shows again but this time as a dialog box and I have to click OK. So I think I should first change the video codec from divx to mpeg4 or mpg1 or something, what do you think?

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

"So I think I should first change the video codec from divx to mpeg4 or mpg1 or something". Divx and xvid are mpeg 4. Do the files play ok for you as they are? If so is their a particular reason you want to change the files? What is your end goal? ie to play on your computer or a stand alone player?

Comment

• ziadost
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

as tigerman said, what are you trying to achieve exactly? also, it may be easier for us to help you if you do this:

1. open the file in virtualdubmod

2. under "file", click "file information".

3. post all info here...
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Carlos Menem
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by ziadost
              as tigerman said, what are you trying to achieve exactly? also, it may be easier for us to help you if you do this:

1. open the file in virtualdubmod

2. under "file", click "file information".

3. post all info here...
              I think I was a little confusion, forget about the VBR to CBR I can use nandub, the problem is that the msg "the source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)". appears each time I open an avi on its recommended editing program "virtualdub", so my question was if I can change its codec from divx3 to mpg2 (SVCD)
              Attached Files

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

"so my question was if I can change its codec from divx3 to mpg2 (SVCD)" Yes. You have to use an mpeg encoder such as Tmpgenc or a variant such as Mainconcept (my favorite). With the original resolution you have, IMO, I would go with 352x480 (1/2 D1). This is a compliant mpeg2 dvd resolution. SVCD (480x480) won't play in alot of stand alone dvd players. Also you won't/shouldn't have any problems authoring at 1/2 d1. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...