X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kestrel
    • Sep 2004

AVI in WMV3 formate - please help!

Hi,

I have an AVI file that I would really like to make a vcd out of. Someone told me this file was created with windows media 9. I had to install codecs to even get it to play in windows media player 9 because the audio did not work. Now, I can play it with audio but cannot convert it to MPG, to make a VCD. I tried TMPGE, and it worked but no audio. I tried VirtualDub, but got an error saying it could not locate the decompressor for WMV3. I have AC3 codec installed. If anyone can tell me how to convert his file to MPG I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Update:

I downloaded winodws media 9 WMV3 codec that allowed me to open the AVI in VirtualDub...I ripped the audio as WAV. That worked. I used TMPGE with video input from the original file and audio input from the WAV.. created a MPG...but still no sound! Is there anything else I can do with VirtualDub to fix the file? I tried "save as AVI" but the original file is 360 megas and the resulting file was going to be massive, I'm not sure why. I don't know a lot about VirtualDub and hope there is another program out there that I can use...
    Last edited by kestrel; 4 Sep 2004, 05:12 PM.
  • guada
    • Jun 2004

Hello Kestrel,

Can I know the size of your HDD?

Comment

• guada
      • Jun 2004

You will excuse me I confounded Mb and Go.
      Sorry.

Comment

• guada
        • Jun 2004

There I am back,
        I don't understand for what reason you wish to convert your file avi of 360mo in the WMV9 format (WMV3 ffdshow).

In short.
        First, you separate the audio of the video.
        Secondly, you convert your audio of basis in WAV format (Besweet or Headac3he), and after in WMA format (WMVEncoder / convert a line).
        Then, you use AVSGenerator to establish a basic script.
        For the encoding, I advise you Nic's WMNicEnc v0.99 (doesn't forget to shoot the audio).
        And finally the mux with WMSE (windows media stream editor, an utilitarian of the software Windows media encoder 9).

Note: surely, you will use an utilitarian for the final size of your WMV9 file

Comment

• kestrel
          • Sep 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the response. You asked why I wish to convert my AVI....and the reason is, I want to make a VCD out of the file so I can watch it on my TV with my DVD player. I do not know how to do this with an AVI file unless I convert it to MPG first. Also...you mentioned that I need to seperate the video from audio first, and I have no idea how to do this! It is not possible for me to simply convert the file without going through all of those steps?? I do not have Besweet, AVSgenerator, etc and have no idea how to use them. I suppose I could try, but it sounds pretty complex.....I have made lots of vcds/dvds before and converted files, but it was really easy and usually one or two steps. I have easily converted AVI to MPG before but this particular file is the only one that does not work. If there is no program that can convert this format, I will try to follow your instructions but I didn't really understand them as I have no experience with those programs

-Emily

Comment

• guada
            • Jun 2004

Good morning,

There is not anything complex in my reasoning.
            Nevertheless, if you wish to make some conversions (Avi to Wmv) without too much difficulty, simple and fast,; try one of these software:
            Sorenson sqeeze, WinAvi video converter,Stoik Video Converter, or AVS Video Converter.

Bye

Comment

Working...