Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newbie2002
    • Feb 2002

Newbie Question Re. Audio Codec

Just installed a CD-Writer (approx. 35mins ago). Thought i'd get straight to it and start ripping some DVDs.

I've got the following software:
    -Flaskmpeg
    -DivX codec
    -Radium MP3 Codec
    -WinXP Pro

Everything was going fine until i hit a brick wall (ow!).

I choose which vob file to convert to avi (which i wish to do), i select the divx codec and set the bitrate. And then when i try to select the audio codec it only gives me the "PCM" format.....even though i've got the radium codec installed, i thought it was a problem with the codec so i uninstalled/reinstalled it, installed Lame's audio codec and some others. Yet it still only lets me select the PCM codec. (which i do not wish to use)

I went into control panel>audio devices...to see if windows was recognising the codec's and they were all there (plus others which i didn't know i had). But flaskmpeg still fails to recognise them.

Is there anyway i can make flaskmpeg use the mp3 codecs?...has any one succesfully done so on winXP Pro????

I know there is software out there that allows u to convert dvd to avi by creating two files (avi and the wav file) and then use virtual dub to put them together using the mp3 codec. But the good thing about flaskmpeg was, that i thought i'd just set it to whatever i'd like and then leave it to it. But unfortunately i can't due to this prob.

Any people know any other programs which i can use that does everything to convert vob files to avi files (inc mp3 audio)????

Any help is much appreciated

Thanx in Advance

• Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

It's a strange problem indeed. One of my system has one such problem and another does not. And the both of them have very close configurations.

You should use the Graphedit method. It gives better results and you don't usually need to increase the volume much (little or normalisation required). The .wav file you get can then be encoded into MP3 using the LAME GUI, which people say gives beter results than Radium. I personally can't find any difference, but I have a feeling (Trust my ears) that LAME indeed gives slightly more detailed sound (or crisper?)

Takes longer indeed, but I say it's worth it.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

flask tends to give you async avi output when using the mp3 codec (which you for some reason [flask is a ton of bugs anyway ] cant use).

i'd strongly recommend DO NOT LET FLASK HANDLE MP3!!!!

go the way you described: using vd.

(or turn your back on flask entirely )
      Last edited by UncasMS; 28 Feb 2002, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎