Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HiredGoon
    • Sep 2004

Desperate frustration, cannot open xvid .avi

Hey, I'm a total newbie when it comes to video compression etc,(started today)), but I'll try and be as detailed as possible.

Bascially, I downloaded a "Xvid" (That's what the filename said) movie file, and obviously, couldn't 'play it. I downloaded the DivX Codec, the Xvid Codec and the Xvid player. I could successfully play the file on this host computer, using both the xvid player and WMP.

But I wanted to put it on my laptop, so I could watch this on the tele (with video out). I copied the movie onto my laptop, and installed the same codecs and players. But it wouldn't play. I pressed play in the xvid player and nothing happened, I tried WMP, gave me an invalid file error. I tested a 'dummy' xvid file in WMP and that played fine.

So I tried 'analyzing' the file with all of the usuals, cant remember names, but the ones that tell you what kinda codec you need, etc, and they bascially said that it wasn't a valid .avi file. Tried running it into the divx repair program, invalid .avi file again, tried burning it onto VCD using nero, invalid .avi file.

After all of this, I tried viewing it on WMP on the original comp, and this no longer worked, but it still worked on the xvid player on the host computer.

Can anybody help??

Cheers,
    Goon

Ps. I've tried using older versions of WMP, installing latest DirectX, and using different versions of the xvid codec.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Open the original XviD file in "VirtualDubMod" ("File" > "Open Video File"). Then go to "File" > "File Information" and post everything that is listed in both the video and audio sections of the dialog box, or post a screenshot of the information.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I downloaded a "Xvid" (That's what the filename said) movie"

Such discussion is a violation of the rules of this forum (Read Rule #6, in particular)...

Comment

• HiredGoon
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the reply, I tried opening it with both VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod, but both said they couldn't open it, they didn't know what type of file it was.

Comment

Working...