Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsletmedown
    • Aug 2004

DVD Bitset & Firmware Questions ?

I have no clue what this is or how to use it ?
    I downloaded DVD Bit Set 106 from allsupport.net
    The instructions & picture of the software look nothing like the download. Any idea what this is suppose to do or how to use it ?
    This is all the info that came with it.
    1. Insert the disc of which you want to change the book type
    2. stat up the tool
    3. It will now display the current DVD's book type
    4. Select the book type that you would like to apply DVD-ROM
    Click on set to apply your selected book type
    Your book type is now changed close the setting tool and use your burning software to burn your media.

I am brain dead here I don't have a clue.
    The reason I downloaded it I was led to believe that most stand alone players would play DVD-ROM format & that this was what this was for. Is this actually to change a blank dvd from what it is dvd-r or +r to DVD-ROM ?
    Or is it changing the burner settings ?
    Sorry but I am dumbfounded as to if I even need it or exactly what it does.
    I have had a few DVD copies that would not play on some of my stand alone units & thought maybe this was the answer.
    Again dumb question but does the blank media determine the format the burner burns it in ?
    DVD+ will be DVD+ ? What & how would you make it DVD-ROM ?

I have an Emprex DVDRW IDE 1004 plus & minus burner.
    I tried the live update download & it is faulty & won't work.
    it has firmware 43 now & seems to work ok but there are several newer ones. The website says if what you have works don't update ? I thought updating made your burns more compatible with more media & more stand alone players ? I can't find anything for Emprex I end up at live update which will not work or BTC & what they e mailed me was the same as live update it will not work both come back with errors when you try & flash it.
    They sent some dos attatchment but I don't have a clue what to do with it or how. Dumb question but is a IDE 1004 made by more than one company & they all use the same firmware.
    Everyone seems to talk about doing this firmware update thing.
    The burner seems to work fine the way it is I just thought maybe it would make my burns more compatible with more media & more players if I upgraded the firmware but can't get any sense from them.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Check out this page (I think that is the burner you are using);

Bitsetting/Booktype is only for R+/RW+ media.

Don't know if you are burning with Nero - if so - Enable the setting in DVDShrink backup preferences.

Comment

• drsletmedown
      • Aug 2004

Getting More Confused The More I Use Shrink.

Originally posted by cynthia
      Check out this page (I think that is the burner you are using);

It appeared to be the correct one. I was not & am not sure when you have several ones to pick from do you take the biggest numbered version ? how do you know which one to use ? I have 0043 now I downloaded & tried 0051 it said something was wrong & did not work. It is an Emprex DVDRW IDE 1004 which I guess is now a BTC ? I don't know if they made Emprex, bought them out ? I see now Fry's electronics where I bought it is selling BTC ? The burner works & I don't want to fix what ain't broke so to speak but want to update the firmware if needed & if it is going to make it work better or if my burns are going to be more compatible with more stand alone units. I still don't totally understand what makes a blank disc after it has had a movie copied onto it compatible with a stand alone unit. Is it the brand of media ? whether it is - or + format ? the type of software you burned with ? I burned / copied one of my movies yesterda using a Memorex DVD+R disc & using disc identifier it say it is Ricoh Company Ltd - Media type R01 DVD+R General purpose.
      I used two Memorex blank discs & made a copy of the movie with Shrink & one with my DVD X Copy Platinum edition. I have 4 stand alone units all under a year old. Neither of the two copies would play on my Daewoo or my Magnavox the units did not recognize the discs. They both played fine in my $29.00 Terapin & on my cheap $29.00 Yamakawa units ? I have another older Daewoo unit that is about two years old & the shrink copy would play but not the copy made with DVD X Copy ? both on same media. Sooooooooooooooo more confused than ever now. What is the secret to making all players recognize the discs or at least most. I called the DVD makers of the stand alone units & they have no updated firmware for them. Again is it the format that the software burns in that is the problem or the media ? some players just won't play some brands ? Is there not a way to do this that will play in most players whether it's a certain brand of media or a certain format - + etc. Obviously my burner & the media or ok they work fine in some stand alones just don't know when, where & which time they are gonna' work it's a guessing game & making too many coasters. Other brands I have by checking them with disc indentifier are GQ brand DVD+R - by Optodisc technology corp Media Type 0R8. Value Discs DVD+R - by CMC Magneticscorp. Media type F01.
      Starlogic DVD-R - by Princo Corp media type R01.
      I am going to make a copy of the same movie on each of the above listed media & see what happens when I try & play them on all the above mentioned players & will report back with my findings.

Bitsetting/Booktype is only for R+/RW+ media.

I don't understand only for R+/RW media ?
      Can you explain in detail ?
      When ? Where ? WHY & How would you use this tool ?
      Is it changing a blank disc's format from one to another ?

Don't know if you are burning with Nero - if so - Enable the setting in DVDShrink backup preferences.

Comment

• drsletmedown
        • Aug 2004

Replies From My Burner MFG.

This is why I stay confused I get answers like this from the so called support.

Dear Customer,

If your drive is working correctly, you will not want to upgrade your firmware. Incorrectly upgrading your firmware can sometimes cause in permanently damaging your drive, and will void warranty. Firmware updates are for customers whose drives are not working properly, due to incorrect settings or tuning from the factory.

Please note:
        1. BTC does not recommend you upgrade your F/W if the drive is working properly and does not encounter any irreclaimable problem issues.
        BTC is not responsible for any defective reasons if the upgrading process caused the issue.

Update instructions for DOS firmware:
        - Make sure to startup using a DOS formatted disc (don't update in a Windows DOS prompt !) A Windows 9x startup disk works for this task. This startup disk will install a RAMDisk that you can copy the flash files on to (may be required if the files are take more than 1.4Megbytes). You may have to increase the default RAMdisk size from 2048 kbytes to 4192 to have enough space to hold all the files for the flash (this is easily accomplished in the config.sys by change a parameter). The RAMdisk is required if you hardrive is NTFS or some other file system that DOS can't recognize.
        - After starting up your PC with the DOS disc you can start updating by executing the batch file F.BAT (or FL.BAT); default setting will update the secondary master drive; when using F 4 or FL 4, the secondary slave drive will be updated so please MAKE SURE TO CONFIGURE YOUR DRIVE ACCORDINGLY IN ORDER TO PREVENT ACCIDENTALLY UPDATING THE WRONG DRIVE !!!!

Tech Support

Dear Customer,

Yes we are the support for Emprex burners. What software are you using to copy your DVDs? Please note, that different standalone player manufacturers suggest different brands of media that is most compatible with their players. Can you differentiate between when the burned DVDs play and when they don't?

Finally, if your burner is working, then it is simple, DO NOT upgrade your firmware. If you flash your drive incorrectly, and it renders the drive inoperable, that is not part of our warranty coverage. Warranties are in place to cover any defects that the drive might have upon manufacturing.

Tech Support

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Something about firmware updates;

According to what I understand is that your Emprex 4x DVD +/- RW in fact is a a BTC DRW 1004IM.

If I go to the BTC homepage there are some utilitys and firmware for that burner. There is a bitsetting/booktype utility also.

英群/鈺群企業累積了多年電子代工專業技能,專精EMS代工.SMT代工推薦,DIP,組裝.測試,包裝,OEM全製程服務,近年更因應全球環保意識,發展各式節能標章LED室內照明產品,未來將持續發展智能照明及其系統,營業項目包含停車場節能標章、節能補助led燈管推薦,燈具推薦,天井燈,無塵室黃光燈等,嚴格要求為客戶提供、推薦最優良的品質及最好的服務,成為客戶加工夥伴為我司努力目標

Most home DVD players will identify the so-called Book-Type/bitsetting of a DVD disc once it is inserted into the drive. This Book-Type is present in each DVD disc's physical structure. In total there are 5 relevant settings: DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Nowadays most home DVD players can support all mentioned types, but a small number of them can't support all of them.

So in order to be able to playback discs with Book-Types that are not supported by your home DVD player, you can use this DVD Book-Type Setting Tool to change your disc's Book-Type.

In general, DVD-ROM Book-Type can be supported by all DVD players.

So what firmware should you install (if you wish)? It must be the latest for the BTC - version 0151 that is here;

英群/鈺群企業累積了多年電子代工專業技能,專精EMS代工.SMT代工推薦,DIP,組裝.測試,包裝,OEM全製程服務,近年更因應全球環保意識,發展各式節能標章LED室內照明產品,未來將持續發展智能照明及其系統,營業項目包含停車場節能標章、節能補助led燈管推薦,燈具推薦,天井燈,無塵室黃光燈等,嚴格要求為客戶提供、推薦最優良的品質及最好的服務,成為客戶加工夥伴為我司努力目標

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

I also have to say that I like the letter they sent you.

1. Don't do any firmware update. It's dangerous.
            2. Then they tell you have to do it.

Comment

• drsletmedown
              • Aug 2004

My Ongoing State Of Confusion

I used two more blank Memorex DVD+R's
              Burned the same movie that I did before to hard drive method that would not play on my Magnavox or my Daewoo but would play on my Yamakawa & my Terapin this time to ISO. Plays fine in my Magnavox but not in the Daewoo it jumps & freezes.
              I did it again using the same file & used the so called bit setting tool to make the Disc DVD-ROM with the same media & it won't recognize it in either player. ?
              And the confusion goes on & on & on !

Comment

• drsletmedown
                • Aug 2004

Still Trying

Also if I want English & want no subtitiles running across the bottom of the screen unless it is a movie like the passion of the Christ where without them you have no clue what is going on how should these be set & left as defaults ?
                Under stream selection tab, audio language & coding type ?
                Which choice should I use ?
                Then what choice All types,AC3, AC3 or LPCM, LPCM
                Subpicture language ? what choice ?
                Put a check in or leave blank box at bottom that says disable all subpictue except menues & forced streams ?

All I want is to copy the movie only, with one soundtrack so to do the least compression I don't care about extras.

I am going to use the same format to hard drive again since that worked the best so far & then burn the same file on different brands of media & + & - & will report back.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

Some standaloneplayers just don't want to play burned DVDs -sadly buts true.

Comment

• The Doctor
                    • Jan 2005

Ok, just so im clear..when using Shrink

If you are using DVD-R - uncheck "Book Type DVD-Rom"

If you are using DVD+R - Check "Book TYpe DVD-Rom"

Is this correct or am backwards?

Thanks

Comment

• blutach
                      Not a god of digital video
                      • Oct 2004

-R = NO BITSETTING - Guaranteed coaster.

+R = CAN DO BITSETTING (but not absolutely necessary).

You got it right Doc
                      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• The Doctor
                        • Jan 2005

Blutach,

I should have checked this post before asking the same question of you on my other post that you replied to (re: booktype and + or - media). Would you recommend, even with a dvd+r, to leave the booktype unchecked?

Thanks

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

If your standalone plays them, then no need to have booktype checked.

If not, then try to check it and see if that improves compatibility.

Regards
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...