• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSani
    • Oct 2004

frame rate and a/v sync

Hello

I am having problems with a/v sync.
    I am using VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (Downloaded the all inclusive bundle from SourceForge a few days ago) with DivX 5.2.1 video codec and AC3 ACM audio codec 0.7b.
    I also tried Gordian Knot 0.28.8.

The movie that I am trying to encode plays fine with the Cyberlink PowerDVD Player 4.0 but when I load the movie in virtualdubmod the audio and video go out of sync. I looked around the settings and only thing that I found odd was that virtualdubmod is reporting a diffrent frame rate for the movie than other software. The PowerDVD reports it to be 29.97 and so does AVIInfo but when I load the movie in virtualdubmod the frame rate is reported to be 23.976. In the frame rate dialog box in virtualdubmod, it gives me the option to "change so that audio and video durations match" and the recommended frame rate is reported to be 24.150. When I choose this option the difference between the audio and video sync becomes less but this does not correct the problem. I also tried the DVD2AVI that came with the Gordian Knot 0.28.8 and, to further confuse me, it also reports the movie frame rate to 23.976 and reports the video type to be FILM 95% and Frame type as Progressive.

A second movie that is giving me trouble is reported just the same as the above movie but its video type is reported to be NTSC and Frame Type is reported to be Interlaced. More over the first movie is out of sync in the beginning of the movie and almost gets in sync at the ending but the second movie in almost in sync at the beginning and goes grossly out of sync at the end.

VirtualDubMod does not report any errors in audio or video when I load the movie. No errors are reported when I check the video stream for errors.

I ripped the movie using DVDDecrypter 3.5.1.0. I have tried to encode the files directly from the DVD. I have tried to encode individual files of the movie and also the combined file which i produced using vstrip. I have used the original frame rate and forced frame rate options of both 29.97 and 23.976 with combined files and also with individual files in vstrip but nothing seems to work.

Another odd thing. When I start loading the .vob file in virtualdubmod and immediately abort the loading process virtualdubmod reports a frame rate of 29.97 for the few minutes of the movie that have been loaded, same as PowerDVD and AVIInfo, but when the whole file has been loaded the frame rate is reported to be 23.976.

I have tried encoding 5 movies so far and have been successful in 2 of them but the rest are giving me the synchronization problem. Is there a software that would correct such frame rate or sync erros? I would be grateful if someone could help me out.
  • DrSani
    • Oct 2004

A little update on the above post here are the screen captures for one of the files. All screen captures are for the same file ...
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...