X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyrano
    • Jan 2004

Can't burn on 1-8X media - advise please

Hello -

I use an Iomega Dual Format DVD burner. (dvdrw4216ind-a). I have no problem at all burning to 1-4X media -R of several makes (Sony, TDK, FUJI) but I cannot burn at all (It says incorrect format) if the media is 1-8X. I have set the write speed at 1X, 2X, 4X, 4.3X and max (DVDDecrypter) and it never burns any of the 1-8X media. (Sony and Fuji)

I am using FW 1.20 and I've read that there is a 1.21 FW. I've even seen a 1.72 (?) FW for this burner.
    This seems like a problem that others would have noticed.
    I'm having trouble locating 1-4X media in my local B&M stores and I'm a little leary of buying DVD media online. (In case it doesn't work)

Does anyone one have any help to offer?
    And what online site is a good one to buy 1-4X -R DVD blanks?

Thank you!
    - Mike
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

This is a NEC 1300 rebadged burner. It can only burn at max 4x.

Firmware;

Also have this in mind:

Risks of firmware updates!

It has to be mentioned that a firmware update could be dangerous. Remember: When updating the firmware the operating system will be "newly programmed".

If something goes wrong during the update (computer crash, power failure) or you accidentally program the "wrong" firmware, the writer will remain unusable!

Of course the writer isn't physically damaged but because of the missing "operating system" it won't work any more - especially "flashing" the firmware again is usually impossible!
    If you "managed" to "kill" your DVD-Writer this way, you usually have to sent it to the manufacturer. Because the DVD-Writer then has to be programmed using special devices you will of course have to pay for it!

So if your DVD-Writer refuses to do anything after "flashing" a new firmware (i. e. it is not detected by the computer and flashing the old firmware isn't possible either), you unfortunately have to contact the manufacturer and send it for repair if necessary.

Comment

• cyrano
      • Jan 2004

Thank you Cynthia. I really didn't want to do any Firmware updating. I do so on my Digital Projector every now and then but I don't want to unless I have to.

Do you have any advice for the rest of my question?

I realize it can only burn at 4X Max. That's not at all a problem. I am having trouble finding media that is not 1-8X speed. It burns 4X media with ease, but it is getting hard to find. With 8X media it will not burn. At any speed.

If I'm not being clear I apologize.
      I guess I'll have to buy 4X media online. All of the good (and onsale) media is 8X speed. The NEC 1300 (It is written on the chassis) won't accept this media (Fuji and Sony both @ 8X, so far) at all. It always says Incorrect Format - I'll look to get the exact quote next time.

It just seems that there must be some way of using 1-8X media at the 4X speed on the machine. It has no problem with any media that is listed at 1 to 4X.
      Aren't burners generally able to just burn at their max speed on media that is rated from 1 to 8X (or somewhere above their limit?)
      I don't know - but I'd hate to think that I'm out of luck if 4X media stops being made.

Is there no other driver for DVD burners that allows it to adapt to new media? (and I don't mean burn faster)

Thanks for any help.
      - Mike

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Use this program - its freeware. www.dvdinfopro.com

You can find out with that program if your media has a 4x writing strategy on them.

Perhaps you should consider the firmware upgrade. It's the only driver there is.

In my country I have the other problem - hardly no 8x media at decent prices - only a lot of 1x and 4x media.

Comment

• cyrano
          • Jan 2004

Thanks Cynthia!

I guess I'll eventually have to try an update. Is there a link to specific instructions. I have read threads about cautions and how one must do it from DOS but I was looking for an FAQ.
          I did download fw1.21 (it hass a much longer name. I haven't looked inside yet to see if it has instructions. Perhaps it does.) I will look for detailed instructions at the Firmware site. And, of course, I'll read about what others have done and advice they received.

I won't try until, and unless, I run out of media to burn. And perhaps it will be time to get a new burner (dual layer).

It seems that others would be having this same problem so perhaps I will find answers later. And they might have posted elsewhere.

Thanks again for your help. Hope you get some faster media where you are.
          - Mike

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Ver 1.22 is the latest so I think it's that one you should install.

The zip file holds two files:
            i122v2au.exe
            i122v2au.bin

Sounds as you only have to run the .exe file if you want to flash your burner.

Comment

• cyrano
              • Jan 2004

Thanks.
              I did download them both. I noticed the 1.21 was larger. I haven't unzipped them yet. And I downloaded the DVDinfo program. I'll run it.

Can you tell me if it is important to run the exe (from 1.22) from DOS? Or would 98SE do the job? And the 1.22 has au in the title. Would that cause the burner to not operate in region 1? I think au stands for austrailia.

I am doing some assuming here but I want to find out all I can before I do the big Flash !

Thanks.
              - Mike

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

The best thing when you flash (either it is the motherboard BIOS) or something else is to do it without windows running. Create an DOS floppy and start your PC from that one. Could also press F8 before windows is starting and run it from that. Best is to use the floppy way.

Skip the above links and use this original link and install ver A121.

How to install:

Comment

• cyrano
                  • Jan 2004

Thanks!

Thanks for all your help, Cynthia!

I'll do it when the need is greatest.

Mike (Cyrano)
                  - Mike

Comment

• mistermojo
                    • Dec 2004

Firmware upgrade 1.21 won't help you

Cyrano,

Version 1.21 (the official Iomega upgrade) won't fix this problem for you.

This firmware is over one year old, and was out long before all of these 8x discs were made available.

I'm experiencing the same issues you are when searching for media. I currently use Comp USA DVD-Rs. They're the ones with the white tops if you have a store near you. They only write at 2.4x, but they DO still work. Once they're no longer available, I'm afraid I have an overpriced CD burner on my hands.

I've e-mailed Iomega on this a couple of times and they seem to have no desire to fix this problem.

The best thing you, I and anyone else can do is COMPLAIN to Iomega. State that you'll never buy one of their products again if they don't fix this problem. It's not an unreasonable demand for a company to support their products (especially since Iomega's bread and butter, the Zip disc, isn't exactly the most in demand disc format these days).

Like everyone else, I'd like to know how the version 1.22 firmware works. But I'm not willing to mess with my drive until I know for sure it's problem free.

Comment

• cyrano
                      • Jan 2004

Thanks mistermojo for your advice.
                      I have been using TDKs I found (I bought several tubs) at Costco. They are 4X and work perfectly. This situation will not last long and I will write to Iomega and complain. I ask any and all readers to do the same.

Does anyone know if the 1.22 version will work?
                      - Mike

Comment

Working...