Software to make Windvd 6 region-free? Tried Region-Killer but no luck...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakobkraft
    • Nov 2002

Software to make Windvd 6 region-free? Tried Region-Killer but no luck...

I also tried Windvd tweaker, which works sometimes to disable region-protection, but other times not at all.

Anything more proven to work with the latest version of Windvd? ANy help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...!
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Try DVD Region+CSSfree.

Give the free trial a go.

Comment

• joegib
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2001

A free alternative is Remote Selector available here:

Incidentally, programs like Region Killer and DVD Genie only work with drives whose firmware has been patched to remove region-protection.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To joegib

"Incidentally, programs like Region Killer and DVD Genie only work with drives whose firmware has been patched to remove region-protection."

I'm fairly certain that you are mistaken regarding DVD Genie...

Comment

• joegib
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by setarip
          I'm fairly certain that you are mistaken regarding DVD Genie...
          Well, according to the author (Blight) "DVD Genie only supports region free DVD drive. If your DVD drive is region protected (RPC-2), you should try DVD Region-Free to watch all region DVDs." See here:

I don't think commercial programs like DVD Region-Free and AnyDVD would have had much success if an old-timer like DVD Genie could do the job for free. I've seen the occasional claim over on The Firmware Page that DVD Genie or Region Killer worked on drives without patched firmware. I've never given them much credit. I suspect the users :

(a) have acquired a new drive with patched firmware installed (a few on-line suppliers provide drives in this condition in the UK), or

(b) have bought a secondhand machine with a drive whose firmware is patched, or

(c) are inexperienced users who've concluded that they're completely region-free on the strength of a few region changes (DVD Genie controlling the software side) but who don't realise that that their "allowed" hardware region changes are steadily counting down until the drive locks.

On the other hand, I've seen a multitude of posts here, on the Firmware Page and the Inmatrix Forums (the home site of DVD Genie), from users complaining that their drives have locked while using this program or Region Killer. The problem has been that these users haven't installed patched firmware.

So, I think people intending to use these programs should heed the warnings of the authors (the Region Killer Help file includes a similar warning to that quoted above) or they'll end up with locked drives.

Comment

• jakobkraft
            • Nov 2002

BTW, I have a region-free drive, so I just need something to get rid of the region limits of Windvd 6 - which is really necessary for me cause I have dozens of region 2 and 4 dvds.

I tried DVD region + css free, and it did work but made playback on Windvd choppy as hell. Worked flawlessly with PowerDVD but I just prefer WinDVD much more, better picture (on my monitor anyway) and the audio booster pack sounds really sweet.

I also tried Remote Selector but it didn't detect my WinDVD at all, even though it's installed in the default directory. I uninstalled and reinstalled both apps. but still no luck...

I guess AnyDVD is next but before I get my hopes up, is there anyone that can confirm if this - or another app. - works with WinDVD 6?

Comment

Working...