X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lathe
    • Nov 2004

ISO image seems fine but won't burn w/DD

Hello, yes, I am quite new : )

I have been able to back up several DVDs perfectly fine, but I am encountering a few DVDs that will analyze, shrink and encode okay, and I even play the ISO image with Daemon to see if it plays okay and it plays perfectly. However, when I go to burn the image onto a DVD-R (I use only high quality Prodisc that are genuinely marked by the manufacturer) DVD Decrypter gets part of the way through, maybe 10%-60%, then it stops and I get the ol' "Couldn't Read From File", "Cyclic Redundancy Check" thang.

It makes no sense at all to me; it seem that especially if DVD Shrink has performed a Deep Analyis on the Disc and fully processed it, why the heck does it not burn. It's not the media, because when I use additional discs, I then end up with additional coasters. This has happened specifically with "2001: A S. O." where the disc was somewhat beaten about. And, more frustratingly with a brand new seemingly untouched "THX-1138" just released.

So, why won't a seemingly working, processed ISO image NOT burn?

Any suggestions... PLEASE!

Thank you,
  • Lathe
    • Nov 2004

Sorry, Uh..., I mean "Why won't it burn" : )

Thanks.

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

You have the latest firmware installed for your burner? Is it an internal burner?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If it's available to you, try using NERO to burn the .ISO. If it's successful, you'll know the problem lies with DVD Decrypter. If NERO also fails, you'll know the problem is in the .ISO...

Comment

• Lathe
          • Nov 2004

Wow, you guys are FAST and GOOD! (Uh, nothing unseemly implied or gender specific to the nice lady from Sweden : )

Dang! I hardly had time to breathe after I hit "enter"... thanks! Yeah, I kind of have this feeling that it is something to do with DVD Decrypter itself. Also, interesting thought about the firmware; however, wouldn't this effect ALL burning though, and not just select DVDs? And, I guess as far as that goes, if it is DD, then why only certain DVDs and not others?

Hmmm...; although, good suggestions, thank you.

Comment

• Lathe
            • Nov 2004

Oops, yes it is an internal burner.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lathe
              wouldn't this effect ALL burning though, and not just select DVDs?
              Normally, a firmware update also invokes CDs. But I don't think so much effort is put in that department. There is no development on CDs. So the major updates in the firmware is for new brands and speeds regarding writing strategies/media codes.

DVDShrink has put the ISO on your hard disk - could it be that one that generates the read errors? Or is it just the error code from DVDDecrypter that indicates that it can't read the next place to write on - on the DVD?

Comment

• Lathe
                • Nov 2004

Yes, there is exactly where I think the issue lies, somewhere between those two. Perhaps I should check the firmware for my burner. It's really new, a Sony DRU-700A with Dual Layer capability (which I'll probably not use for a while : ) so, I don't know if there would be any firmware updates this soon, but maybe so.

Is it possible for DVDShrink to introduce errors when creating the ISO image? Or could it perhaps simply duplicate any errors already on the DVD, this creating a bad ISO image? And if so, why does the ISO image play perfectly fine with Daemon's virtual drive if it is a bad image? And, if it plays perfectly as an ISO image, then why the heck does the image not burn?

See the contradiction?

Comment

• Lathe
                  • Nov 2004

Also too, as far as the fellow's suggestion about Nero, I do have Deep Burner too; I suppose I should try that to see if the ISO image burns using that program. however, I think that I did that once before with a copy of "Pirates of the Carribean" and it choked during the burning process too. Then I got a new copy from a friend of mine and it shrunk and copied just fine with DD.

I am trying to redo the ISO image now with a slighly higher percentage compression (so that the resulting ISO image will be smaller, 4.4 gigs instead of 4.6, perhaps not pushing to the edge of the disc will make a difference. And, just maybe since the ISO will be completely reconfigured, the resulting new ISO may work.

Interesting idea, don't you think?

Comment

• Lathe
                    • Nov 2004

Hey! Just thought I'd tell you (whoever's out there) that I did in fact redo the ISO, and this time it burned perfectly. However, in my enthusiasm, I unintentionally killed the commentary soundtrack : ) So, I'm trying it again, but I at least do have the actual movie itself. Maybe I'll go back and redo the "2001" ISO too : )

Thank you nice people.

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

Latest firmware;

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"so that the resulting ISO image will be smaller, 4.4 gigs instead of 4.6"

The MAXIMUM size is 4.36-4.37Gb - therefore, it seems your ONLY problem was creating an .ISO too klarge to fit on a DVD (single-layer)...

Comment

• Lathe
                          • Nov 2004

Thank you Cynthia for the firmware link; I will definitely check it out. It's pretty frustrating, it just happend on about 3 more discs so far. It's such a drag because it takes DVD Shrink so long to do a Deep Analysis and encode the dang thing, then the ISO plays great through Daemon, then the burn fails.

Oh, and thanks Setarip, but it's my lack of experience talking here. The ISO image size I was refering too was the true full size, you know what I mean with a gig truly being like, what, 1088, you know. The actual registered size when I hold my cursor over it is like 4.35 gigs, so that's not it.

I'm starting to think that maybe this latest DVD Decrypter update is flawed somehow; because this started happening right after I updated to their latest version (3.51) I've done DivX for a long time now just before I got my DVD burner; and I've done like well over 700 movies, and right after updating DD, all of the sudden I start getting Divx files that cut off the last 10 minutes of a movie. That's NEVER happened in all this time. Really weird...

So, that would suggest to me that there is something up with the DD version; I don't know. But, also the intermittancy of the dang thing also suggests to me that you may be right about the firmware thing; like certain discs are not being processed right, or something. I guess the firmware may superceed everything because it is the last link burning to the disc; so, if there is a hitch there, it may be causing this.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Lathe
                            • Nov 2004

Oh, and btw, I was mistaken, adjusting or customizing the compression on DVD Shrink does not make the ISO file size smaller; I see now it merely somehow seems to shift more room for the primary movie file away from the 'menus' and 'extras' I guess. Sorry about the Setarip : )

I remember reading somewhere though, that you can adjust the output size so as not to push the burning to the limit on the disc, but I don't remember exactly what I read.

Comment

• Lathe
                              • Nov 2004

Sorry to be such a pest, but on the firmware page cynthia, do I download from the little box that has the SONY DRU 700A heading; and do I download the "VY02" or the "VY05 English", or am I supposed to dowload the software right above it that seems to be saying that it will make my drive Region Free, called "DVDFab (DVD copy software)" or "DVD Region+CSS Free".

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Thanks.

Comment

Working...