Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justin_sane
    • May 2003

Writer issue or media issue?

This is the strange problem. My drive is an LG GSA 4040B. I have only managed to burn 2 successful dvd+r's and 1 dvd-rw. The failed discs apparently burned successfully, but they don't work - something which happened is that it took a while for the disc to eject after Nero said the burn was successful - the drive appeared to be still doing something. When I try to read the failed discs in the drive, they come up as empty discs - but they aren't as I can't write anything on them!

Am using Nero 5.5.10.56. (Tried Nero 6, but same problem)

Plus, the dvd-rw no longer works in that drive, but seems to work in the dvd-rom drive in another pc.

Media is 4x Sony DVD+R and 1x Packard Bell DVD-RW
  • Too-Cool
    • Feb 2004

I had the same problem with 8x disk. I burn them at 4x which is the max for this drive and they wouldn't play on anything but the burner, lowered the burn from max to 2.4 and the problem went away. My firm is A106 so that might be the problem or it could be the brand of disk you are using. Since I don't have to worry about time I just burn at 2.4 or 2x depending on disk type and all is well. Try to burn at a lower rate, that should help if not look at firmware and than the disk brand. Too-Cool

Comment

• Tim Who?
      • Nov 2004

The Sony discs I have used (X4 -R) on my LG 4106B failed in standalone players. Datawrite Grey x8 are the only brand I've found so far that worked in the PC and on both the standalones I use, a Samsung and another LG.

Comment

• justin_sane
        • May 2003

I'll try 2.4 speed and see how that works out.

My firmware is the latest A304

Strangely, I managed to rescue one of the failed discs by using Nero and continuing a multisession disc and then finalizing the disc. It works fine now!

I'm still unsure about the dvd-rw except I remember writing that at 2.4 speed rather than the recommended 1 speed. But why it works in a dvd-rom and not the writer is still confusing.

Comment

• justin_sane
          • May 2003

Ok... 2.4 speed seems to work fine. Thanks! Even though they are 4 x dvd+r's. I also used DVD Decrypter to write rather than Nero. When setting the max speed, it wrote at 2.4x and not 4x - weird!

Just the DVD-RW problem now...

Comment

Working...