X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PZO
    • Apr 2003

My video files are getting corrupt.

Hi
    I have a problem know one has propably heard of before... Some of my .avi and .mpg files are getting destroyd. I have no idea why.
    I know for sure that thay have worked fine before. But after a while they turn into one large audio file.

The file size and name are the exactly the same. When viewing the file with gspot it reports that the file is one large MPEG-1 Layer 3 VBR 44100.

And the most weird thing is that the audio in the file is somehow from my mp3s... Theese mp3s i have on a different harddrive partition.
    Why does this happend? This in not a prank. Know one i have talked to has ever heard of this problem before.
    Please help. I am going mad.
    And i do defrag my drivers.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you've contracted a virus...

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Well it's a good thing he defrags his drivers! lol.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• PZO
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DrinkOrDie
        Well it's a good thing he defrags his drivers! lol.
        Well what am i suppose to do. I have not a clue why my video files are getting destroyd. I guess you might have a clue whats wrong with my pc.
        As for viruses, i have been using norton internet security for a long while and it is updated.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

You might want to copy one of your videos to a CD and try to play it on another PC...

(By the way, I believe "DrinkOrDie" is making fun of you stating that you defragged your DRIVERS, instead of DRIVES)
          Last edited by setarip; 17 Nov 2004, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Easier Way?
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jan 2003

Is it bad to defrag video data? I did it once using the norton software (which has a good visual display) and it seemed to seperate the avi data blocks into 2 bundles, presumably seperated audio and video?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"it seemed to seperate the avi data blocks into 2 bundles, presumably seperated audio and video?"

Defragmenting simply puts places linked blocks of file data in sequence on your hard drive. It has nothing to do with the TYPE of data (audio, video, numeric, text, graphics)...

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by setarip
                You might want to copy one of your videos to a CD and try to play it on another PC...

(By the way, I believe "DrinkOrDie" is making fun of you stating that you defragged your DRIVERS, instead of DRIVES)
                I would never...

My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Easier Way?
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2003

Hi Setarip,
                  Delay due to work and sleep.
                  You are right, I was surprised at the time. It was a few years ago and I have been wary of defragmenting video data ever since.
                  It was on an old pc with little 4 gig hard disks so the block resolution during defrag was very high.. I saw a huge file with repeating identically spaced elements of two different types. I forget if it actually was a vob, a mpeg or an avi. I did the defrag using old norton utilities v3.0 (c 1997) and it seemed to deinterleave the avi type data.
                  I now empty my video drive rather than defrag it. Maybe I would be OK using modern defragmentation software?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"You are right"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

Easier Way? says: "....I have been wary of defragmenting video data ever since"

and... "I now empty my video drive rather than defrag it. Maybe I would be OK using modern defragmentation software?"

I say: Maybe 'Easier Way' is right just like 'Setarip' says. You should just stick to defragmenting regular data, and skip the video data. And I also think it would be wise to use 'modern' defragmentation software, as opposed to the old-fashoned kind.

My toy:

Comment

Working...