NERO update to 6.6.0.1, bad discs and buffer issues ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BB_Mike
    • Aug 2004

NERO update to 6.6.0.1, bad discs and buffer issues ?

Ive been using DVD-shrink and NERO 6 for some time now, but recently, I ran into a bad batch of media (Memorex changed their media ID... don't use them ever ever.)

During my worries, I updated my NERO to version 6.6.0.1

Well, with known good media (using 2nd PC to verify), I am not able to burn working DVDs.

While using Nero Burning ROM, I got no reported errors! Nero thinks that it is doing a good job. In my stand along player, the resulting DVD has pauses every 20 seconds of video.

I notice, during the burn process, that the buffer fluctuates from empty to full every few seconds. The CPU speed also looks like a sawtooth, spiking every time the buffer fills up. This did not happend before, and the buffer stayed at 100% for the duration of the burn process.

I did a Nero Drive test, and it was pretty damn useless. What good is a test if you have no empiracle results to compare it to?!?!? Duh. All I see is a graph... woopty do, thanks nero.

-Another user here posted a reply to my other thread saying he/she had "similiar" problems, and that the fix was to uninstall Nero 6.6.0.1 and go back to the software that came with the burner.

If I remember right, I had to do one update of nero just to get any kind of a successful burn. How does one acquire an "in between" update of NERO?!?!

this sucks.
    Last edited by BB_Mike; 22 Nov 2004, 02:29 PM.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Checked your IDE cable?

Comment

• BB_Mike
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by cynthia
      Checked your IDE cable?
      Yeah, I hooked it up to my IDE spectrum analyser... kidding.

my burner is setup to be the slave drive. I'll make it the primary and give that a wirl.

I guess I could call Micro Advantage (who makes the drive) and see how they suggest I "test" it.

Comment

• BB_Mike
        • Aug 2004

I have done everything I can, short of purchasing a new DVD burner drive.

The problem still exists.

burn process takes 50 minutes (5 times too long). CPu usage goes crazy. Resulting DVD has pauses every 10 seconds.

Guess it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Re: NERO update to 6.6.0.1, bad discs and buffer issues ?

Originally posted by BB_Mike
          How does one acquire an "in between" update of NERO?!?!
          Ver 6.3.1.25 can be downloaded at www.nero.com

Comment

• BB_Mike
            • Aug 2004

I just got an email back from the manfacturer of my drive. Quick it was!

Some jiberish about DMA and how it got reverted back to PIO (prgrammaed input output), and this is causing the buffer bursts and slow CPU.

It is a LOT of reading, so I may post back tomorrow with my results... wish me luck.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than
            six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one
            UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

FIXED!!! Woohooo
            see the rest of the story here...
            Last edited by BB_Mike; 23 Nov 2004, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...