CRC errors corrupt drive, burning problem fixed!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRI0N
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Dec 2004

Well having your Drives in BIOS all set to AUTO is a good idea for many reasons.

1) If your hard drive starts to go bad its a nice early warning system.
    2) If your motherboard controller starts to go bad its a nice early warning.
    3) When in AUTO Detect and it detects your hardware without problems is GOOD sign that all is right.

Things you might want to look at. Some mother boards have only 1 Ultra DMA Controller usually the Primary Controller. So I would put the Hard Drive set to Master or Single on the Ultra DMA Ribbon. Then put the Burner on the Secondary Controller as Master/Single using a standard EIDE Ribbon.

Having the wrong Drive Ribbon on a controller can cause alot of problem like your experiencing.
    Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

@tim

Your recommendation not to buy LG drives is born of frustration rather than objective analysis of the drives' utility.

I have an LG 4081B set up as a secondary master and read DMA ultra 2 and burn a full 8x disk in under 9 mins. It's your setup - or you really may have a faulty device.

MXHNY

Regards
      Last edited by blutach; 26 Apr 2005, 03:14 PM.
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• charlypuss
        • Nov 2004

Hi Blutach,

As you know I am a confirmed LG user. I agree with your comments.
        If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• Tim Who?
          • Nov 2004

My comments came from frustration at the lack of service from LG themselves as much as anything. And the burner not liking any media apart from Datawrite Grey (not even Verbatim jewel-cased discs).

Anyway, having just got back from a Xmas away I tried changing my BIOS settings to AUTO and it worked. I've burned a disc in 16 minutes this afternoon and will be checking it out later, but all seems well so far.

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

@Tim - That must have made ur xmas very merry.

@charly - Indeed, but still don't drink that ibezan water. It's not good for sensitive Englishmen.
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• gogothegreat
              • Dec 2004

Is there anybody who could help me with this one: I keep getting this awful "cyclic redundancy check" error message during DVD analisys with DVDShrink 3.1.3, while the movie playback is sloppy and freezes very often. I've replaced my DVD-ROM (LG) with combo drive (HL-FT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B), but the problem remained. Ironically, my friend next door bought the very same device - on exactly the same platrform! (AMD Athlon 2500+, MSI motherboard, Windows XP Pro) - and he's enjoying the smoothest and absolutely spottless DVD playback (I've played my own disks on his machine)!? Don't tell me to update the driver, 'cause I've done it twice already! Please, HELP ME!!!

Comment

• gogothegreat
                • Dec 2004

By the way, my LG combo is set as secondary master. After reading this and some other forums, i've checked the DMA access seting and saw that it is "PIO only". After uninstalling and reinstalling the Secondary IDE controller, I've succeeded in setting it to Ultra DMA MOde 2, but the problem with CRC errors still remained the same. I'm loosing hope...

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To gogothegreat

1) "I keep getting this awful "cyclic redundancy check" error message during DVD analisys with DVDShrink 3.1.3"

A CRC error indicates that there's a problem with the physical DVD (scratched, dirty, Peanut Butter and Jelly) that DVD Shrink cannot resolve. First, try cleaning the DVD. If DVD Shrink still generates this error:

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO"

2) "the movie playback is sloppy and freezes very often."

Try using higher quality burnable DVD media, such as Ritek, Ridata, Verbatim, or Maxell.

Also, when decrypting, compressing, or burning, turn off all unnecessary programs (foreground or background)

Comment

• gogothegreat
                    • Dec 2004

O.K. setarip, I'm pretty much aware of all that, but what about "Ironically, my friend next door bought the very same device - on exactly the same platrform! (AMD Athlon 2500+, MSI motherboard, Windows XP Pro) - and he's enjoying the smoothest and absolutely spottless DVD playback (I've played my own disks on his machine)!? "
                    THE VERY SAME MEDIA works absolutely fantastic on THE VERY SAME DEVICE, installed on THE VERY SAME PLATFORM!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Check to see if your ssytem is overheating and that all connections are clean and secure...

Comment

• cynthia
                        Super Moderatress
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gogothegreat
                        Don't tell me to update the driver, 'cause I've done it twice already!
                        With "driver" do you mean firmware?

Comment

• charlypuss
                          • Nov 2004

Have you managed to analyse anything with shrink or is it just one disk ??
                          If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• gogothegreat
                            • Dec 2004

Yes, Cynthia, by driver I do mean the latest firmware from official LG support site.
                            Setarip, I disassembled my machine today, and cleaned even the smallest dust particles; my combo DVD was originally attached on secondary IDE channel as master device, and I've attached it now on primary IDE as slave - nothing happened!
                            Furhermore, because I've downloaded some Windows hot-fixes lately, today I decided to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows SP1, but CRC errors are STIL THERE!!!! Don't tell me to install SP2, because my neighbor also got SP1 and he's doing just fine!!!

And here's the answer to charlypuss - I use DVD Shrink 3.1.3. just as a way to find out quickly is the playback going to run smoothely. I don't do any re-authoring etc. I JUST WANT TO WATCH MOVIES. And my combo LG is freezing every now and then, on almost 80 percent of my DVD collection (wether original or burned).

Now, what do you ALL have to say to THAT??????!!!!!??!!?!?!

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

And have you checked to determine (as I suggested previously) whether your system is overheating?

Comment

• gogothegreat
                                • Dec 2004

NO!!! I'm POSITIVE my system's temperature is pretty COOL!!!

C'mon Setarip, I know you can do better than that!!!!

Comment

Working...