Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CRC errors corrupt drive, burning problem fixed!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piratepast40
    • May 2005

In both primary and secondary controllers, transfer mode "DMA is available" is selected. For actual transfer mode, Ultra DMA doesn't show up. For the primary, channel 0 shows PIO. Since I have SATA drives is there anything different I should do before I uninstall the drivers and have windows reinstall them? I remember having one heck of a time initially getting the mobo to recognize the drives and had to install RAID drivers.

Comment

• piratepast40
      • May 2005

DUH - the light bulb just lit up - Since the DVD drive is the only device on an IDE controller, then it's the one that shows up as primary. Uninstalled the driver, let WIN XP do the rest, and all is now well. Drivers for the SATA drives are from the VIA bus master controller. I didn't see the same info under this drives set so don't know the setting. My question is: can these also be affected the same way as the primary and secondary IDE controllers? If so, and since the VIA controller is supplied by Windows, would uninstalling this also help speed things up? The odd part about the drivers being suppplied by Windows is that I remember having to load Plextor updated drivers.

Comment

• Lin731
        • Mar 2006

Running A Pioneer External write drive My Book Lists It As S706

But DVDInfoPro lists it as a 107 D. At any rate, like everyone else my burned copies have started glitching like no other (on different media type) so it's not the discs. I'm assuming the issue you're dicussing her could be the cause. So with the info I've listed below, what do I need to do?

Now on my machine I have in my primary IDE Channel it says that current transfer mode is Ultra DMA 5 and DMA if available for transfer mode.

My secondary though says current transfer mode PIO on both device 0 and 1 with DMA if available for transfer modes. So now what?

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

Welcome to the <a href="http://forum.digital-digest.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item" target="_blank">Digital Video Forums</a> Lin731!

Please go here to read on how to fix your DMA issues: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905

Comment

• Lin731
            • Mar 2006

Thanks So Much! I Could Kiss Ya!

I was confused about whether I still needed to do the uninstall since my primary channel was reading right but my secondary wasn't! So I just need to do the uninstall on the secondary channel since my primary in is in Ultra DMA 5 correct? Now after I do this, should I also follow the steps on the DMA reverts to PIO page where it discribes ways to desensitize the the thing so it doesn't freak out like that again so fast? I'm hoping this fixes it, the drive in question in only like a year and 4 months old. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it get's me closer to knowing what the problem is. I've been scratching my head for days wondering why it started glitching all through my copied discs, just outta the blue. Were the discs bad (didn't seem likely since it's the same media I'd always used without problems and after trying another disc type the problem persisted. Was it that the DVD Cloner 2 I was using was too outdated (they were kewl by the way, gave me a free upgrade to see if that fixed it). I haven't burnt anything yet though, I wanna reset the IDE secondary first. Wondered if the optical laser was dying etc...At least if this doesn't fix the problem I'll know it's a drive issue. I'm hoping this DOES work though, I really don't wanna buy a new drive. If I do have to replace my Pioneer, I'm thinking I might do with the LaCie d2 with lightscribe.

Comment

• Lin731
              • Mar 2006

It didn't work. I uninstalled the drivers on the secondary (I never got the second message listed about restarting my PC) but I went ahead and rebooted. The device detector listed my lite-on and my maxtor but it never said anything about seeing anything for my Pioneer (the DVD Writeable drive). FYI, it doesn't show up in my drives unless it's turned on, as it's an external drive (if that makes a difference). When I checked in device manager on the secondary after the reboot, the PIO is STILL the setting. So now what? Did I do something wrong?

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

I didn't know it was a USB external drive. I think there is a setting in your BIOS to need to enable DMA for USB devices attached.

Comment

• Lin731
                  • Mar 2006

Any idea on how I find it to fix it. I get twitchy on the issue of messing with bios or registry stuff. Over one the DMA reverts to PIO there's this:

Quick solution
                  If you're not interested in the details, but just want to fix this problem as quickly as possible:

Double click here.
                  Click on the [Open] button to open the program file.
                  Despite the warning click on the [Execute] button to execute the file resetdma.vbs.
                  If the program found ATA channels to reset, reboot your computer and test all drives.
                  If you are interested in the details, read on. The program tries to reenable DMA in the registry exactly as described below, for all suitable ATA channels. Windows then redetects the DMA status after the next reboot.
                  Would this be a possible fix on an external and if I were to use the program, does it execute on it's own ar do I have to actually mess with trying to reset it.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎