Can anybody give me a good reason why my single layer burns don't work??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockyMtnSwitch
    • Dec 2004

Can anybody give me a good reason why my single layer burns don't work??

Here's the problem: I recently installed a new dual layer, dual format DVD-writer in my desktop. The drive works create, burns fast, no problem. So I burn a several DVD movies, and I then try to play them on my laptop. For some reason they don't work, the laptop drive just keeps spinning the disk, and thinks that it is blank.

Now before you write me off as some fool who's got his formats messed up, listen to the rest of my story.

My laptop is a Toshiba-5200, with a built in DVD-RW. It's only a single speed, but it works just fine. Over the past several years I've owned it, I've burned over a hundred DVD's on it. These have usually all been burned on TDK DVD's in the "-R" format, cause that's what my laptops supports. All the DVD's I've made on here have worked everywhere, any other DVD drive or player would play them.

So back to my new drive I just purchased, it's a HP630I, dual layer and dual format capable. I burned myself a few movies, and they work just great on my HP630I drive. I burned these movies to a single layer DVD-R, just like I always did with my laptop. If I take these movies I've just burned, they'll also play on my roommates new Sony dual layer, dual format DVD burner, and they'll also play on my other roommates Single layer, dual format DVD burner. But when I try them on my laptop, they don't work.

Thinking that my new HP630I might be the problem I had my roommate burn me a DVD with his Sony dual layer, dual format DVD burner. And that DVD works on every player I got, except for my laptop.

Not one to be easily discouraged, I went out today and purcahased an AOpen, dual layer, dual format DVD burner. And as you can probably guess, the DVD's I burn on it work on every player except for my laptop. This entire time, I've been burning to -R media. Today, I decided I would try a -RW, and I still get the same problem.

Now remember that roommate who has the Single layer, dual format drive? Well, the DVD-R's that he burns with his burner, my laptop can read just fine.

So, what is going on??? Can anybody explain to me why a dual layer burner, burning a single layer disk, burns it in such a way that my laptop can't read it, yet a single layer burner can burn the exact same information in a way that my laptop can read it?

Is there something with how dual layer burners work, that make their output not compatible?

I've read some stuff about changing the bit format on a DVD+R to make it read like a DVD-ROM, but I am not sure if this is a potential solution.

If anybody can help me out with my problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

A most curious problem. I think the term you're looking for though is Book-type. A search on this might help.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Comment

Working...