Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pappy mike
    • Dec 2004

Toshiba player

I have created DVD's on a brand new Dell PC with a Philips burner, using both Roxio Easy Media Creator (DVD Builder) and with Ulead Movie Factory. I have used Memorex DVD+RW and DVD+R and Verbatum discs.

These DVD's will play fine on a cheap Apex player but on my 'good' Toshiba, I get video only and no audio.

Does anyone have any ideas for a fix to this? I've just about given up!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Are both of your players connected to the same audio system and in the identical manner, with the same settings?

Comment

• pappy mike
      • Dec 2004

Yes. Both are running through a Pioneer surround sound receiver. One is connected as DVD and the other as video 1 source. I simply select the video input on the reciever. Both players will play purchased DVD's with no problems. The Toshiba is a model SD 2800 which all the specs say should play +RW. So far I've tried about 6 different blank +RW's. Only the memorex will show video but no audio. I've tried different length clips as well ranging from 20 min to over 1 hour. Same results. I've checked both software packages looking for a setting I might have missed but have found nothing. The Toshiba is about 3-4 years old by the way and the Apex is a year old. I also have a Sanyo that plays nothing.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Only the memorex will show video but no audio."

To put it kindly, Memorex media are nothing but trouble - very poor quality. Stick with something of higher quality, such as Ritek/Ridata or Verbatim...

Comment

• pappy mike
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the advice. The funny thing is that the Memorex is the only media so far thats even produced video that plays. I tried Verbatum +R with no luck. Have you any experience with Fuji or Maxell? I haven't tried those yet. Looks like I'll have to buy one of everything until I find one that works. A number of forums claim Verbatum works but I couldn't get anything. I don't think this technology is ready for home consumer use yet. Far to many variables between software, media, players and burners. Might as well stick to VHS. Guess I'm getting frustrated!

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by pappy mike
            I tried Verbatum +R with no luck. A number of forums claim Verbatum works but I couldn't get anything. I don't think this technology is ready for home consumer use yet.
            Which Philips burner do you have? Verbatim +R 4x media or?
            Originally posted by pappy mike
            I don't think this technology is ready for home consumer use yet.
            It is - if not the problem is between the chair and the keyboard...

Here is a page with firmware for Philips burners. http://home.tiscali.be/stefsom/philipscdrw.htm
            Last edited by cynthia; 6 Dec 2004, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...