DivX capture from miniDV & avi to Divx...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ewomack
    • Dec 2004

DivX capture from miniDV & avi to Divx...

Hello. I was very happy to find this forum. I'm an independent filmmaker (which means so much these days, I know), and have a 27 minute movie shot on MiniDV, edited with Adobe Premiere 6.5, burned onto DVD (which works in 90% of commercial players tested), and in avi format (a 5.5 gig file that looks and sounds great). What I'm hoping to do is get this movie into DivX format. Here's where I am: I've read some sites in DivX for background info, ran test movies to confirm DivX installation, installed the DivX codec, upgraded any Media players I have on my WinXP SP2 system (WMV, BS), installed Direct X 9.0c, and bought a copy of Dr. Divx (which I've heard from many sources is awesome).

Before going through the trouble of encoding a 27 minute movie, I tested my system's ability to encode on small files. I captured some small bits of miniDV via firewire from my Canon Gl-2 camera into Dr. DivX. The result was substandard video and incomprehensible audio that ran at about 500% the speed of the original track. This happened consistently. I tried posting a message on Dr.DivX's forum, and found that I couldn't (I keep getting the login prompt everytime).

So I thought I'd try converting from an avi I already had on my system. This time Dr.DivX's preview had great audio, but showed no picture; however, if I went into the file on my hard drive the picture appeared, but horribly skewed in size (160 X 64), but the audio and video seemed to be in synch.

My system has 384MB ram, and 27 gigs of space on my separate 150 gig hard drive.

One last thing, I also opened the movies with the GSpot codec tool, and this raised no red flags on the files I encoded.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start troubleshooting? Does it sound like a problem with Dr.DivX's encoder? I'm running out of ideas but still researching.

Thank you for reading!!
Working...