Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: MPEG-4 vfw codec for VirtualDub

Question-2 MPEG-4 vfw codec for VirtualDub

This isn't actually a DivX question but since VirtualDub was mentioned in the description of this forum I decided to post here. I hope my message is in the right place...

Some time ago I bought Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U and started to convert some old recordings from video tape to my hard drive - only to realize that that crappy WinDVD Creator which came bundled with ConvertX can't edit MPEG-4 files that it has just captured! Or to be more precise, it CAN edit it but it can't write it back to hard drive in same format. MPEG-4 is not listed amongst available formats. DivX is but I don't want to use it because of DivX watermark appearing in all videos. Besides that WinDVD Crapper propably re-encodes the videofile losing quality...
    So my problem is this: I have several MPEG-4 files and only editing I want to do is remove some crap from beginning and from end of the files. Nothing else, but that seems to be too much to ask.
    I tried VirtualDub but I don't seem to be able to find suitable vfw codec. I have used several hours searching with absolutely no success.
    FourCC for MPEG-4 format mentioned above is MP4S which according to AVIcodec means 'MS MPEG4 V1' and microsoft's own webpage says it's 'Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 video V1.0'. I guess that is the same thing. GSpot says codec used is 'S-Mpeg 4 version 3'.
    Please, can anybody help? Where can I find the needed vfw codec for VirtualDub? Or are there any other ways to edit those MPEG files without the need of re-encoding them? I don't want any loss of quality or audio synch or other problems.
    I'm beginning to be desperate!

Injou

Guess you need DivX3...

Btw, you can disable this wartermark in DivX's decoder options !!!

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 « - Website in progress...

Question

I tried to install DivX 3.11 Alpha but that didn't change the situation. VirtualDub still gives the same error notice:
    "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP4S' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

Edit: Thanks for the watermark tip!

Now that you've installed DivX v.3.11alpha, download "FourCC Changer" from:

http://www.divx-digest.com/

and change the FourCC of your file to "DIV3"...

Well, when I change the FourCC code and try to open that file with VirtualDub, all I get is an error message: "Error decompressing video frame 0: An unknown error occured (may be corrupt data). (error code -100)"

So what now?

Thread Information