Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Injou
    • Dec 2004

MPEG-4 vfw codec for VirtualDub

This isn't actually a DivX question but since VirtualDub was mentioned in the description of this forum I decided to post here. I hope my message is in the right place...

Some time ago I bought Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U and started to convert some old recordings from video tape to my hard drive - only to realize that that crappy WinDVD Creator which came bundled with ConvertX can't edit MPEG-4 files that it has just captured! Or to be more precise, it CAN edit it but it can't write it back to hard drive in same format. MPEG-4 is not listed amongst available formats. DivX is but I don't want to use it because of DivX watermark appearing in all videos. Besides that WinDVD Crapper propably re-encodes the videofile losing quality...
    So my problem is this: I have several MPEG-4 files and only editing I want to do is remove some crap from beginning and from end of the files. Nothing else, but that seems to be too much to ask.
    I tried VirtualDub but I don't seem to be able to find suitable vfw codec. I have used several hours searching with absolutely no success.
    FourCC for MPEG-4 format mentioned above is MP4S which according to AVIcodec means 'MS MPEG4 V1' and microsoft's own webpage says it's 'Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 video V1.0'. I guess that is the same thing. GSpot says codec used is 'S-Mpeg 4 version 3'.
    Please, can anybody help? Where can I find the needed vfw codec for VirtualDub? Or are there any other ways to edit those MPEG files without the need of re-encoding them? I don't want any loss of quality or audio synch or other problems.
    I'm beginning to be desperate!

Injou
  • Soulhunter
    • Mar 2004

Guess you need DivX3...

Btw, you can disable this wartermark in DivX's decoder options !!!

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...

Comment

• Injou
      • Dec 2004

I tried to install DivX 3.11 Alpha but that didn't change the situation. VirtualDub still gives the same error notice:
      "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP4S' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

Edit: Thanks for the watermark tip!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Now that you've installed DivX v.3.11alpha, download "FourCC Changer" from:

Digital Digest DivX Xvid Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, Xvid and AVI articles, guides and software, latest news and updates

and change the FourCC of your file to "DIV3"...

Comment

• Injou
          • Dec 2004

Well, when I change the FourCC code and try to open that file with VirtualDub, all I get is an error message: "Error decompressing video frame 0: An unknown error occured (may be corrupt data). (error code -100)"

So what now?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎