Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juicer
    • Dec 2004

DivX to DVD mpeg conversion?

16 minutes into the conversion of a mpeg file that should play for over an hour Divx to DVD announces conversion complete with the logfile indicating:
    Exception raised in the video decoder
    Error while decoding stream #0.1
    Avg. quantization factor 0.0
    Due to frame rate conversion 3375 frames have been duplicated
    Conversion completed in 00.16.20
    The mpeg file plays well and full length on Nero but I want to be able to burn and play on DVD player.
    Suggestions please?
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"The mpeg file plays well and full length on Nero but I want to be able to burn and play on DVD player."

Follow this procedure:

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk

Comment

• juicer
      • Dec 2004

When I try with TMPGEenc I get a notice that "cannot open or file not supported". If I try with TMPGE DVD author I get a red "this is an illegal video file... can only use MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.
      DVD Lab doesn't fiind the file with browse so I am guessing that the type of file is still in question.
      It's Properties are that is an MPEG file but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"When I try with TMPGEenc I get a notice that "cannot open or file not supported"."

Open the original mpeg file(s) in "VirtualDubMod" ("File" > "Open Video File"). Then go to "File" > "File Information" and post everything that is listed in both the video and audio sections of the dialog box, or post a screenshot of the information.
        Last edited by ormonde; 5 Jan 2005, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• juicer
          • Dec 2004

Here's the bad news:
          MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in audio stream 0 at byte position6988, from 0 to 102102. This may indicate an improper join.
          MPEG:.....found in video stream 0 at byte position 9312, from 0 to 125980. This may....
          MPEG: .... found invideo stream 0 at byte position 473875236, from 264635980 to 264617650. This may indicate...
          All of this may indicate that I should not yet give up my day job as I feel I am about to drown in either a video or audio stream.
          Is this hopeless or is there a way of repairing the join.... duct tape?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Is this hopeless or is there a way of repairing the join"

I'm confused - have you now attempted to convert the original file to an mpeg (with TMPGEnc or another program)? Kindly post the "VDM" information (screenshot preferably) of the "Original" mpeg file as I indicated in my previous post.
            Last edited by ormonde; 5 Jan 2005, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• juicer
              • Dec 2004

My misunderstanding. I ran it through Virtualdaub and sent the report of the original test. I am a newbie to this so I need to figure out the next step i.e. how to take the result from virtual dub over to TMPGE (if that is even what I should do?). I've been following your leads so excuse me if I seem lost. Which way to go?

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

Try and open the original mpeg file in "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than TMPGEnc). Do this by clicking "Create New Project" > "Add File". If DVD Author accepts the file, continue with steps 3 and 4 as outlined in my initial post.

Comment

• juicer
                  • Dec 2004

Sorry, after I ran virtualdub, I was supposed to save this file bujt as what? I started saving at as avi but we would be dead from old age at the rate is was proceeding so I aborted. Can you walk me thru the steps once the analysis is done to save it for use.? When I tried the "original" file as you suggested, it weas tyhe same "illegal" report but when I tried to insert that portion (4 seconds) that I had saved as avi, it went fine. So I apparently need to either grow greywhile waiting or there is a shortcut to get these files ready for "author"?

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"When I tried the "original" file as you suggested, it weas tyhe same "illegal" report"

Which program did this error occur in? Please state "Exactly" what the error says.

Comment

• juicer
                      • Dec 2004

In TMPGenc DVD Author I get in red letters "This is an illegal video file. For DVD standard you can only use MPEG-1 Video or MPEG-2 Video" when I try the "original". It won't allow me to insert it.
                      However, as I said above when I finished running Virtualdub the first time I started saving the results as an avi file (saving about 4 seconds of movie) but aborted because it was slow as hell (will take 12 hours to complete!). That portion that was saved under a defferent name was accepted into TMPGenc DVD Author. When I complete runnung virtualbub, is there a quick way of saving this file??
                      Thanks for your patience.
                      Last edited by juicer; 5 Jan 2005, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• juicer
                        • Dec 2004

I got a few hours of sleep and reread your request fro "file information" from Virtual dub. So finally here it is.
                        Video track:
                        frame size: 352x288, 25,000 fps (40000 us)
                        # of frames: 140927 (1:33:57)
                        # of I, P, B frames: 6049/41277/93601
                        I frame min/avg/max/total: 1916/1462/36880/(86498K)
                        P frame min/avg/max/total:
                        473/7090/26481(285833k)
                        B frame min/avg/max/total:
                        261/2918/12688(266784K)
                        Average bitrate: 929Kbps (114KB/s)
                        Audio track:
                        format: 44KHz dual channel, 128 kbs layer II
                        # of frames: 2115772
                        total size: 88071K
                        Now what do I do with this info?

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

It seems obvious by the information you have provided in your previous posts that the original mpeg file is not "DVD-Compliant". If for some reason you cannot open the file in the regular "TMPGEnc" (NOT DVD Author), you can continue to convert the whole file to an AVI with VirtualDubMod, or try and use another program called "AVSVideoConverter" to re-encode the file to either a DVD-Compliant mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 file.

Comment

• juicer
                            • Dec 2004

Nice to hear from you again.
                            Not knowing what to do after running Virtual dub, I tried reading many guides, started trying to save as avi under "file" in Virtual dub. It stated it would take about 12 hours (800mhz PII computer) and I went to sleep. This AM there was a note of error at a particular spot and had ended!
                            Do you have any idea how long the other program will take to convert?

Comment

• ormonde
                              Digital Video Explorer
                              • Dec 2003

"Do you have any idea how long the other program will take to convert?"

No, but its quite possible that you may have a "Corrupt" file...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎