X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirCanealot
    • Jan 2005

Another PowerDVD playback problem...

Hi, all.

I'm having a problem with PowerDVD playback.
    Basically, the player claims to be operating fine, but it is not.

On play back of a DVD, it plays with... well, the audio plays, but skips a lot, and for video, I get a half black/green screen with small bits of the actual picture around the image.
    If I watch the status display, it indicates that it's playing the file in fast forward - and there's seemingly no way to slow it down and stop it messing up.
    However, I've noticed the thing plays DVD files from my hard disk fine. Which points at their being some sort of DVD-Drive problem here :/
    The drive in question is operating normally, and I've tried with several DVDs that have all worked fine before.

I'm using a latish version of Power DVD 6.0, and I've even tried running the older PowerDVD XP 4.0 on that I have lying around, and the EXACT same thing happened.

I have a Atholn XP 64bit 3500+
    1024 megs of 333mhz DDR ram
    A GeForce 6600 (latest drivers from NVidia's website)
    A Sound Blaster Audigy I (latest drivers)
    A Sony DVD-RW DRU 510A (DVD drive used)
    A GA-K8Nf-9 mobo (NForce-4)
    Windows XP Pro (SP1 installed)

I've basically woken up one day and got this problem, so I have NO idea why it is happening.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this annoying problem? Thanks~
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I've noticed the thing plays DVD files from my hard disk fine. Which points at their being some sort of DVD-Drive problem here :/
    The drive in question is operating normally, and I've tried with several DVDs that have all worked fine before."

Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your drive. Maxell makes one that sells for approximately $10US...

Comment

• SirCanealot
      • Jan 2005

I've tried WMP and MPC for DVD Playing - both play DVDs fine.

Unless you think it's possible that it's just borken for PowerDVD? Wouldn't suprise, heh.

Comment

• brewcan12
        • Jan 2005

my power DvD has also gone crazy. It will not play any dvd movie at all. I have xp 4.
        I guess im going to uninstall and try reintstalling it.Is Power DVD 6 any better?
        I also have interactual player and that plays dvd's.

Comment

• brewcan12
          • Jan 2005

Ok I think I have a much better DVD Player, Region FREE I believe it plays all. DVDXPLAYER Professionalv3.0 I hope this will solve my player problems. Has anybody used this player? Is it any good?

Comment

• ImagoX
            • Dec 2004

Doh! DIdn;t see this thread or I would have added my comments to here. I put up a similar thread here:

Talk about converting to DVDs, encoding in MPEG-2 for DVD compliance, as well as DVD playback and DVD region-free discussions

Basically I'm having a similar problem, except MY screen is covered with a completely black box (not green) with the same few pixels around the edge. I've tried 2 different DVD drives and files direct from my hard drive, and all fail in the same way on playback, so I don't THINK it's a drive issue. My files play fine on WMP as well. I'm starting to think that Windows borked my PowerDVD to make me use crappy WMP.

Can anyone suggest an alternate free DVD player with some of the same features ad PowerDVD? I particularly like PowerDVD's control interface and screen-capture capabilities and feel that it just looks better pverall than WMP. Thanks!

PS- WHat's "MPC"?
            Last edited by ImagoX; 16 Mar 2005, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎