DVD Recording in "regionfree " or "region 1"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Rein
    • Mar 2005

DVD Recording in "regionfree " or "region 1"?

I want to buy my first DVD Recorder so I can

1. dubb my VHS-Kids tapes unto DVD

2. record the films of my kids regionfree so I can send them to my friends overseas.

My question is:

Do the DVD Recorders in the States automatically record everything regionfree? Or are they automatically set to record on region 1?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

I personally do not know the correct answer to that question, although I did some research (Which you could have done easily) on www.google.com and this is what I came up with.

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

TV DVD Recorder's record discs that are region free. The format will be NTSC for a U.S. recorder.

Anyone, who watches the DVD's overseas will need to be able to do NTSC or convert NTSC to PAL with their players.

I can highly recommend using a recorder with a built in hard disk,. It is possible to record to that then dub to a DVD (after being edited if available).

I use my one to record onto DVD RAM which I then edit and burn to DVD-R's on the computer.

I couldn't do without my Panasonic one now (the best make IMO).

Edit.

The recorders will likely to be still region coded for "store bought" DVD playback like DVD players. The Panasonic ones have to chipped to region free.
      Last edited by nwg; 3 Mar 2005, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Old Rein
        • Mar 2005

Thanks for your infos. Now I got a better idea. I guess.

There is still one more thing: Friends from Europe have been sending me DVDs which they recorded themselves. And I only have a Mintek-1600 DVD Player. But it can handle any of those DVDs just fine, although they are all in PAL - as you suggested.

The fact that it works on this Mintek player - after reading your answers above - is a mystery to me. But nonetheless I am glad that it does.
        Last edited by Old Rein; 3 Mar 2005, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

The player could have some sort of format conversion.

If you have a NTSC only TV, I would imagine the player is doing a PAL to NTSC conversion.

Comment

• Old Rein
            • Mar 2005

Yes, its a normal NTSC only TV.

I am starting to wonder if other Players do PAL to NTSC conversions also. Maybe eben most do? Or am I just lucky with my Mintek?

Does anyone in this forum also have self-recorded DVDs from Europe? I have about 100 Discs so far. From different friends. And they all play fine.

What I will do: I will take some of those DVDs to my friends and see if they can also watch PAL on their Players. I'll let you know. Might take a few weeks to give the answer here. Because I'll be in Europe for awhile.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

There are several cheap players in the U.S. that do PAL to NTSC. How good they are at converting depends on the player

Sampo was one of the first makes to come popular in the U.S. There was several cloned players including my own Encore DV450 in the UK.

Another popular make is Apex (both in the UK and in the U.S).

Comment

• Old Rein
                • Mar 2005

None of my friends can see homerecorded DVDs from Europe, except those people who have a Mintek-Player as I do or (as was also just mentioned in this thread before) who for excample have an Apex-Player.

Thanks for all your great help. Now I know what its all about!

Comment

Working...